Thursday, March 2, 2023
Teams Premium - March 3, 2023
What is happening? Microsoft has introduced “Teams Premium”. Some existing features of Teams (typically unused or rarely used by our clients) will now require a Teams Premium license. This does not apply to Teams Live events.
When will Teams Premium be available? Beginning Friday, March 3, 2023, though availability varies by feature.
What is the impact? The following Teams features will require a Teams Premium license:
- Live translation of captions
- Teams Premium license required as of ~ April 3, 2023.
- Live captioning is still included in Teams, only translation of captions, to other languages other than English, will require Teams Premium. (Note: if an instructor requires this feature, a Teams Premium license will be required for the instructor, but not for the students attending).
- Timeline markers in Teams meetings recordings
- Teams Premium license required as of ~March 3, 2023.
- Attendance reports are still included in Teams. Only personalized timeline markers in a meeting recording (e.g., when you joined or left a meeting), will require Teams Premium.
Cost and access: The cost of a Teams Premium license is currently $120 USD/year/person. If a Teams Premium license is required for University activities, please email email@example.com and include the following information:
- Indicate you would like to request a Teams Premium license.
- Include the username of person who needs the license.
- Copy the person who approves payment for the purchase on the email request.
- Include the financial account number to charge the purchase to.
- Include the Team Premium feature required and details of the use case/required University activity the feature is needed for. IST will confirm that a Teams Premium license is required for the use case.
Learn more about Teams Premium: