Support Services and Resources

People and places you can turn to for help.

Whether you need help practicing your English conversation skills, guidance on study strategies, or someone who will listen to your concerns, we have many people and services available to support you.  In this section, you will learn more about:

Virtual One-on-one Meet-Ups 

For EFAS, iEFAS, BASE, iBASE Students/Graduates, and Essential Soft Skills in English Graduates

Want to have a chat about your studies?  Or just talk about life in general?  Or perhaps you want some advice on study strategies.  Maybe you have an important question, but you're not sure who to turn to.  Don't worry if you don't have all the answers: we are here to help!

Virtual Meet-Ups are your chance to meet online through video with a Renison ELI staff member or Peer Leader.  You can meet with:

  • Your Student Advisor, A.J. Dixon
  • Your Student Experience Manager, Ryan Connell
  • Your Peer Leaders

Conversation Partner Program

For EFAS, iEFAS, BASE, iBASE Students

Conversation PartnersWould you like to practice your English conversation skills frequently with a native English speaker?  If you answered "Yes", then we encourage you to sign-up for the Conversation Partner Program.  This program, which is run by our friends at the Renison International Office, pairs you, an international student, with a native English-speaking student from the University of Waterloo. 

As a participant in the program, you will meet often with your partner once a week (or more!) to practice your English speaking and listening skills, as well as learn more about Canadian life and culture.

To get more information about the Program, or to sign-up, please visit the Renison International Office website.

Wellness and Spiritual Support

We get it: being a student is tough, and studying online can sometimes make you feel alone.  Please know that your wellness is important to us, and we are here to help!

  • Mental Wellness Support in Ontario (for anyone living in Ontario): Mental health is just as important as physical health. This Government of Ontario website has information on support services - many of them free - that can help you.
  • Mental Wellness Support in Canada (for anyone living in Canada): Learn more about mental wellness resources available to anyone currently living in Canada.
  • UWaterloo Counselling Services (for UWaterloo-registered students living in Ontario): Counselling Services is a team of professionals that provides programming and services to help you lead a healthy and balanced life. Counselling Services are provided, at no charge, in a private and confidential setting to University of Waterloo students who are currently registered or on a co-op term.
  • UW MATES: UW MATES is a student-run service offered by the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association. They offer peer support for students who would like someone to talk to. Visit their website for their office hours, including virtual appointments. 

Immigration consulting

For Future and Current Students/Graduates

The Renison International Office offers immigration advising for students currently studying in an English Language Institute program.

You can ask any immigration questions you may have, including: 

  • Study Permits
  • Working on and off-campus
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
  • Open Work Permit for spouse/common-law partner

Please contact Louann at for a virtual meeting. Please have your immigration documents, such as passport, study permit, temporary resident visa (TRV) ready and in front of you for the meeting.


Get your own Renison clothing

Want to show your Renison pride? Purchase a Renison t-shirt or hoodie sweatshirt online!

Read More