Welcome to Wetlands Hydrology Research Laboratory
Interested in research?
Students within the Wetlands Hydrology Research Laboratory come from a variety of backgrounds, with previous students from biology, geography, earth sciences, environmental science, civil engineering, ecology and plant sciences. Recent graduates from these research groups are working within wetlands and non-wetlands hydrology, hydrogeology, biological monitoring and work within both civil service, consultancy and management settings or further graduate study.
Further students are not being accepted at this time.
Featured relevant press articles
- From oilsands mine to wetland: Is Syncrude's reclamation experiment working? CBC News Edmonton, August 20, 2017
- 'We can't replace nature': Oilsands wetland reclamation a mixed success Edmonton Journal, September 11, 2016
- Hillslope-peatland relations in Northern Alberta (YouTube)
World Wetlands Day, University of Waterloo, February 2, 2015
- Salty wetlands danger sign for in situ oilsands projects
Edmonton Journal, January 23, 2015
- Suncor Energy opens new reclamation project: Nikanotee Fen
The Globe and Mail, August 26, 2013
- Suncor opens Fen in industry first
Fort McMurray Today, August 27, 2013
- Reclamation: Suncor plants fen at oil sands mine
Canadian Mining Journal, August 27, 2013
- Oil Sands Reclamation: Pipe Dream or Reality?
Alberta Prime Time, March 22, 2012
- Waterloo expert leading unprecedented project to rebuild peatlands in oil sands country
Exchange Magazine, March 16, 2012
- July 3, 2020
Congratulations to Emily Prystupa on her M.Sc defence! Emily our favourite dissolved organic carbon researcher successfully defended her M.Sc virtually with her committee on June 30th. Her thesis research is titled Salinity Effects on Dissolved Organic Carbon Concentration and Quality in a Constructed Fen Peatland, Fort McMurray, AB. Emily completed her degree a full 2 months ahead of schedule, a credit to her supreme organizational skills!
- June 17, 2017
Jon gave the final day plenary talk at the 2017 Canadian Geophysical Union (CGU) and Canadian Society of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology (CSAFM) Joint Annual meeting at University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, British Colombia in May with his presentation titled 'Breaking Bad: Wetlands in need of a fix'.
- Jan. 1, 2017
Happy World Wetlands Day everyone!
- July 3, 2020
As a geochemistry major and current co-op research assistant to the Wetlands Hydrology Research Group I was looking forward to an exciting field season in Fort McMurray, Alberta. However, due to Covid-19 travel restrictions meaning there is no field season, I've instead authored an overview of the rather murky topic of Naphthenic Acids and where research is at with regards to their understanding.