One of the best jobs in Canada and beyond
|Year||Ranked||Median salary||5-year wage growth||5-year employee growth||Outlook|
Canadian Business has consistently ranked the profession of pilot as one of Canada's best jobs in the past few years, ranking 4th best in 2016. With 1.56 projected job openings for every person looking in 2020, the aviation industry is a path to a high-flying career.
According to Boeing (2016), the global need for pilots is sky-high with approximately 617,000 openings for pilot over the next 20 years (PDF).
The need for pilots is so great that International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), a branch at the United Nations (UN) that oversees aviation, has made the recruitment of aviation professionals a global priority.
Where our pilots go
- Captain – Latitude Air Ambulance, Learjet 35
- Captain – Northern Thunderbird Air, King Air 350
- First Officer – Ornge Global Air
- First Officer – Sky Regional Airlines, Embraer 175
- First Officers – Sunwing Airlines, Boeing 737
- First Officer – Transwest Air, King Air 350
- First Officers – WestJet Encore, Bombardier Q400
- Second Officer – Cathay Pacific, Boeing 777
- Flight Training Instructors – Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (WWFC)
You are more than just a pilot
With a degree from the University of Waterloo and flight training from the Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (WWFC), you'll open the door to a wide variety of career options.
Pilot in the following industries:
- General aviation
Because of your UWaterloo degree, you have these options as well:
- Aerial surveying and remote sensing industry
- Air transport associations, National Research Council (NRC), Transport Canada, and Transportation Safety Board of Canada
- Aircraft manufacturing industry
- Aviation dispatcher
- Geographic information systems (GIS), global positioning systems (GPS), and computer cartography industry
- Professional within air navigation service provider (ANSP)
- Royal Canadian Air Force (requires additional training)*
- Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) industry
* A university degree is a requirement to be an air force pilot.