Science at Canada's Leading Innovative University
As an integral part of Canada’s most innovative university, the Faculty of Science is a global leader and a preferred destination for those seeking to engage in world-class basic and applied research.
We take this valuable research strength and translate into hands-on education and co-op experiences that prepare Science students for rewarding careers. Student-directed programs such as Velocity Science give entrepreneurial students the opportunity to turn their ideas into businesses while the iGEM team compete at international synthetic biology competitions. Our award-winning Science Outreach events are designed to inspire the next generation of scientists.
From understanding the universe, to protecting our water resources to improving the health of Canadians to educating the next generation, Waterloo Science is shaping the future through discovery.
Departments and Schools
- May 31, 2023Creating the building blocks for designer quantum devices
Waterloo quantum scientists are one step closer to developing the materials needed for future quantum devices. They have discovered a method for growing crystalline structures that will act as platforms for robust quantum computing applications.
- May 15, 2023Alum's gift builds a community
Sumaya Nur (BioMed '21) knows the impact an award can make. She received the Collective Movement Award for Community Leadership during her final year at Waterloo and founded The Rights Project.
- May 2, 2023Chris Houser appointed next Dean of Science
The Faculty of Science is pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Chris Houser as the 10th dean of science for the University of Waterloo. His five-year term will begin on July 1, 2023.
- June 5 to 23, 20232023 Summer School: Water and Energy Security in a Changing Climate
A Sustainable Futures Initiative presented by the University of Waterloo
The 2023 Summer School will showcase leading-edge research from a wide array of University of Waterloo professors at the interface of water, climate, and energy.
- June 5, 2023Vancouver Alumni Cocktail ReceptionHello Vancouver!The Department of Chemistry will be hosting a cocktail reception at Steamworks Brewpub in Vancouver and invites all scien
- July 11, 2023SOMMeRS: Southern Ontario Medical MicroRobotics Symposium