Science Teaching Moment #1 – ChatGPT and AI Tools
This will be our first Teaching Moments event and we envision this to be an opportunity for Science instructors to gather together to discuss concerns related to ChatGPT, discuss ways of improving assessments, and potential opportunities to leverage ChatGPT in the classroom.
We look forward to seeing you there!Brenda Lee, on behalf of the Science Teaching Fellows
Science Teaching Moment #2 – Blended Learning
The Blended Learning Initiative is a campus-wide project to encourage an evidence-based approach to teaching for improved student learning outcomes in courses. This initiative is focused on supporting a flipped classroom model for blended learning.
In this lunchtime discussion, we will hear from three Science instructors at very different points in their blended learning/flipped classroom journey:
- Steve Forsey (Chemistry) has been teaching blended learning courses in the Chemistry Department for many years.
- Heidi Engelhardt (Biology) is a recent adopter of blended learning in her Biology courses using resources from the remote teaching period.
- Rick Marta (Physics/Chemistry) is planning to adapt his MNS courses to a blended approach in Fall 2023.
Each will spend 10 minutes explaining what they feel you should know about blended learning and flipped classrooms. This will be followed by 30 minutes QnA.
WHEN: Wednesday 24th May, 12-1.00pm
WHERE: STC 1012
Science Teaching Moment #3 – School of Pharmacy’s Indigenization Journey
In this lunchtime discussion, we will hear from members of the School of Pharmacy and the Centre for Teaching Excellence as they discuss the School’s experience with Indigenization.
- Elaine Lillie – SoP Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Andrea Edginton – Professor, SoP Hallman Director, Associate Dean (Faculty of Science)
- Leslie Wexler – CTE Sr. Educational Developer, Indigenous Knowledges and Anti-Racist Pedagogies
We at the School of Pharmacy began our Indigenization journey in 2018. While we recognize there is more road ahead than behind us, we are happy to share our lessons learned and milestones to date. Among other things, we will talk about a course in Culturally Safe Patient Care that we’ll be offering for the first time in September 2023. We look forward to sharing our story and hearing yours.
When: Tuesday June 20, 2023 12:00 to 1:00 pm
Where: ENG EIT-1012