About the Faculty of Science
A powerhouse of discovery
Since its founding in 1959, the Faculty of Science has become a research leader nationally and internationally. From a new map of the universe to better batteries to the threat of invasive species, Science researchers are committed to sharing exciting and relevant research findings with the Canadians and the world.
In addition to transformative research, the Faculty of Science also values its outstanding faculty and students, its rich student education experience, and engaging community outreach events.
Science at Canada’s Most Innovative Research University features
- Internationally renowned faculty members including two Canada Excellence Research Chairs and 14 Canada Research Chairs;
- More than $65 million dollars in research funding for 2013/14 - at 38 per cent of the university’s total research income, it’s the highest among all faculties.
- 18 bachelor degree programs in the departments of Biology, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, and Earth and Environmental Sciences and four cross-faculty bachelor degree programs with Accountancy, Business, Economics and Aviation;
- Two world-class professional schools – Canada’s only English-speaking School of Optometry and Vision Science and the newest and only co-op School of Pharmacy in Canada;
- Successful hands-on education though lab and field courses, clinical rotations and award-winning programs such as iGEM.
- Our co-op program boasts a 95 per cent placement rate and five degrees associated with professional designations.
- Innovative community outreach programs, including the Earth Science Museum, the annual Science Open House, Let’s Talk Science Waterloo K-12 program, Engineering Science Quest (ESQ) and engaging public lecture events, such as Invasions from Inner Space: Species Invasion and Extinction;
- Velocity Science and St. Paul’s Greenhouse promote award-winning student entrepreneurship in the sciences, environmental stewardship and social justice.
Waterloo Science is a world leader in research, education and community outreach. We are proud of our faculty, staff and students.