A powerhouse of discovery
Since its origins in 1957 as a founding faculty of the University of Waterloo, the Faculty of Science has become a research leader nationally and internationally.
The Faculty of Science also values its outstanding faculty, students, rich student education experience and engaging community outreach events.
The Faculty is proud to support our students, with the 215,000 square foot Science Teaching Complex that houses 11 state-of-the-art teaching labs and 6,000+ square feet dedicated to Science undergraduate learning, student life and clubs.
Science at Canada’s Most Innovative Research University features
- Internationally renowned faculty members including two Canada Excellence Research Chair Laureates and 13 Canada Research Chairs;
- 18 bachelor degree programs in the departments of Biology, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, and Earth and Environmental Sciences and four cross-faculty bachelor degree programs with Biotechnology/Accountancy, Science and Business, Biotechnology/Economics and Aviation;
- Two world-class professional schools – Canada’s only English-speaking School of Optometry and Vision Science and the newest and only co-op School of Pharmacy in Canada;
- Successful hands-on education through lab and field courses, clinical rotations and award-winning programs such as iGEM.
- Our co-op program boasts a 90+ per cent placement rate and five degrees associated with professional designations.
- Waterloo Science attracts top undergraduates - 39.7 per cent of first-year students had high school averages above 90 per cent.
- Innovative community outreach programs - Earth Science Museum, the annual Science Open House, Let’s Talk Science Waterloo K-12 program and Engineering Science Quest;
- Concept Science and St. Paul’s Greenhouse promote award-winning student entrepreneurship in the sciences, environmental stewardship and social justice.
Waterloo Science is a world leader in research, education and community outreach. We are proud of our faculty, staff and students.
Science at a glance 2017/18
- Undergraduate Enrolment: 5,752
- Graduate Enrolment: 577 (49 per cent international FTE)
- International students, country of origin: 68
- Total female enrolment: 54 per cent
- International exchange programs: 100 agreements in 80 countries