About the Faculty of Science
A powerhouse of discovery
Since its founding in 1959, the Faculty of Science has become a research leader nationally and internationally. The faculty alone brings in approximately 40 per cent of the university’s total research income. At $69.5 million dollars for 2012–2013, it is the highest among all faculties.
This year, we are proud to announce our Chemistry department was ranked 2nd in Canada and within the top 100 worldwide by the ARWU ranking.
Both the Physics and Astronomy as well as the Earth and Environmental Sciences departments ranked 4th in Canada by the QS ranking.
Science at Canada’s Most Innovative Research University features
- Internationally renowned faculty including 2 Canada Excellence Research Chairs and 14 Canada Research Chairs;
- $17.9 million in state-of-the-art instrumentation purchased through Canada Foundation for Innovation funding over the past five years;
- 13 bachelor degree programs and in the departments of Biology, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, and Earth and Environmental Sciences and 4 cross-faculty bachelor degree programs with Accountancy, Business, Economics and Aviation;
- 2 world-class professional schools – Canada’s only English-speaking School of Optometry and Vision Science and the newest School of Pharmacy in Canada;
- Successful hands-on education with a 98% co-op placement rate and 5 degrees associated with professional designations. Waterloo ranks in the top 100 world-wide for employer reputation (QS ranking).
Waterloo Science continues to be a world leader in research, education and community outreach. We are proud of our faculty, staff and students.