Chris Houser is the Dean of Science at the University of Waterloo and the tenth dean since the Faculty was founded in 1957. Prior to joining the University of Waterloo, he was Dean of Science at the University of Windsor (2016-2022) and Interim Vice President Research and Innovation (2022-2023). Houser joined the University of Windsor from Texas A&M University where he was the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Geosciences (2014-2016), and the inaugural Global Faculty Ambassador in the Office of the Provost (2011 to 2016).
A coastal and aeolian geomorphologist, his research focuses on the response and recovery of coastal barriers to extreme storms, coastal erosion in the Great Lakes, the physical and social dimensions of beach safety, and the use of analytical reasoning, semantic modelling and graph theory for landscape interpretation. His research group also manages the COASTIE citizen science science program in partnership with Parks Canada to monitor shoreline change in park managed areas across Canada.
Faculty of Science Deans
- Bruce W. Kelley (1958-1960)
- William A.E. (Peter) McBryde (1961-1969)
- William B. Pearson (1969-1977)
- Robert N. Farvolden (1977-1982)
- Don E. Brodie (1982-1990)
- John E. Thompson (1990-2001)
- D. George Dixon (2001-2007)
- Terrance B. McMahon (2007-2015)
- Robert P. Lemieux (2015-2023)
- Chris Houser (2023-present)