University of Waterloo verification of illness certificates are available for students who are unable to attend labs and examinations or are late with major assignments.
- Your faculty determines academic accommodation for medical reasons; therefore we advise you to speak with your professor if you anticipate being unable to fulfill academic requirements because you are sick.
- Attend University of Waterloo Campus Wellness or your family healthcare practitioner during the illness to receive appropriate medical care and an accurate diagnosis.
- Bring the University of Waterloo Verification of Illness Form (PDF) with you to be completed by your healthcare practitioner.
- There is no need for students who have seen a healthcare practitioner off-campus to have their Verification of Illness certificates verified by an on-campus healthcare practitioner.
- Please be aware that your healthcare practitioner may charge a fee for completion of the Verification of Illness.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the Verification of Illness reaches the appropriate recipient for review.
Students should only accept a completed Verification of Illness form from a healthcare practitioner if it accurately reflects the student’s actual condition.
For more information, see the Undergraduate Calendar, Assignments, Tests, and Final Exams, and Petition procedures (Policy 70)