B.C. Matthews Hall
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
519-888-4567, ext. 45513
- Steering wheel tilt and telescoping adjustments so it’s at a comfortable height and reach.
- Ensure seats have adjustment for seat cushion vertical adjustment range, lumbar support, seat cushion front and back will tilt, back recline, armrest height and angle. Suspension in seats to minimize effects of vibration.
- Seatbelt shoulder strap height adjustable to enhance comfort for small and larger drivers.
- Pedal adjustability.
- Ensure the pedals and the steering wheel are aligned with centerline of the seat.
- Accessibility of cup holders, gear shifter, air horn, and main controls so drivers do not have extended reach.
- Angle dashboards so controls closer to driver.
- Visibility of main displays on dashboard.
- Easy adjustment of mirrors to ensure visibility.
Cab egress and ingress
- Design tractors with long grab handles located on both side of the doors and inside the cab.
- Design tractors with smaller distance between steps and adequate grating on step, especially the front edge of step to reduce risk of slipping.
- Design tractors with a pass-through compartment for drivers to load belongings into so they can have their hands free in order to use 3-point contact. Design tractor with cup holders and pockets on inside lower portion of door to free up hands.
Circle checks and maintenance
- Accessibility of oil dip stick and fluid check point in engine compartment so drivers do not have to climb on wheel to access them.
- Hood design so it's easy to open.
- Steps and grab handles to improve accessibility to clean windshield.