4.2 Do I need to obtain permission if I want copyright protected material printed on campus?

It depends. If the amount and purpose of the copying is covered by fair dealing, or another exception, or a licence that the Library has for electronic resources, you will not need express permission. If, for example, you want copies printed for classroom handout, and the amount to be copied is consistent with fair dealing, you will not need permission. If, however, what you want to copy is not covered by fair dealing, or another exception, or a Library licence, permission will be needed. Any material submitted for printing is checked for copyright clearance. If you have permission to copy the item from the copyright owner, please provide documentation for the permission when submitting your order. If you do not have permission, the Courseware staff will obtain permission where required.

There are some special cases, such as reproducing entire out-of-print books or rare/fragile materials, which may take longer for copyright clearance. When you place your order, the Courseware staff can assess what copyright clearance may be required. If you have any questions regarding copyright, call Courseware at extension 33996, or email courseware@uwaterloo.ca.