Audience: Students, Faculty, Staff
Facilitator: Jermal Jones and Sarah Grzincic
Previous experience and education with concepts and theories such as feminism, patriarchy, intersectionality, discursive violence, racism, critical race theory and critical whiteness studies.
Disrupting and decentering whiteness is a core component of the overall goal of creating an anti-racist educational space. This workshop explores how we can disrupt the centering of whiteness in higher education and unpack white supremacy cultures material effects and its harm on racialized students, faculty, and staff. Dismantling Racism Works defines “White supremacy culture” as the idea (ideology) that white people and their ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and actions are superior to people of colour and their ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
- Differentiate between “whiteness” and “white people”
- Understand key terms/theories related to white supremacist culture in higher education (such as Hegemonic Masculinity and White Feminism, Perfectionism)
- Identify and understand how white supremacist culture expresses itself interpersonally as well as structurally
- Use an intersectional lens to analyze how we can disrupt our actions, thoughts, and beliefs in our roles
- Provide you with strategies to use in your roles that validate racialized people and their intersectional lived experiences
Participants can expect to engage in small breakout discussions, self-reflective exercises as well as a lecture style presentation. Participants can keep cameras on/off and engage as desired for the lecture part of the session and are encouraged to actively participate in the breakout rooms. Participants will have a break in the middle of the session.
Our workshops are in high demand and have limited capacity, often with waiting lists. We kindly ask that if you can no longer attend, you cancel your registration by contacting email@example.com no later than 24 hours prior to the workshop to make room for those on the waitlist. We acknowledge and understand that things happen, so even if it is a late cancellation (within 24 hours), please still let us know. Others may be able to join in your place. Thank you for accommodating this request.