Graduate Orientation Volunteer
Are you looking for an opportunity to assist with Orientation and connect with incoming graduate students? The Graduate Orientation Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with various aspects of Campus-wide Graduate Orientation on September 5th, 2017. Graduate Orientation is a one-day event during Orientation specifically for graduate students to learn about the campus and services available to them.
This event requires a variety of volunteer positions throughout the day including: Administrative Volunteers, Social Volunteers, Room Hosts and Campus Tour Guides and Grad House Volunteers.
On the application form you will be required to select the volunteer position you would like based on the responsibilities and the time. All volunteers will be required to complete a mandatory training session on Wednesday, August 23rd at 5:00PM.
This is an excellent opportunity to meet and connect with incoming graduate students and network with campus partners. All volunteers will receive food during their shift as well as a free t-shirt and appreciation from the Graduate Orientation Committee.
Applications will close Sunday August 20th, 2017 at 11:59pm and all volunteers will be contacted with more information after this date.
Please read the descriptions below and apply today.
Administrative Volunteer Responsibilities
(8:30AM - 12PM or 11AM - 1:30PM)
- Set-up booths, registration tables, lunch area
- Greet and register new students (i.e., wristbands, give swag)
- Direct students to nametag station, booths, campus resources, etc.
- Tear-down lunch area and chairs
Departmental/Faculty Greeter Responsibilities
(11AM - 1:30PM)
- Lead and participate in ice-breakers to connect with new students in your department and faculty before the Welcome session and during lunch
- Answer questions about your department, faculty, campus and Graduate Orientation
- Accompany large groups of students to concurrent sessions
- Mingle and connect with students
Room Hosts and Campus Tour Guide Responsibilities
(12:45PM - 6PM)
- Greet campus partners in session rooms and ensure A/V is set-up
- Welcome students to sessions, introduce and thank presenters, inform students about following concurrent sessions
- Sit in on each session and direct students to concurrent sessions throughout the afternoon
- Set-up/tear-down refreshment break
- Lead students on campus tours
*Note: Specialized campus tour training will be required for this role*
Grad House Volunteer Responsibilities
(2:30PM - 8:00PM and 5PM - 11PM)
- Event set up
- Greet and direct students
- Ensure all students have wristbands
- Work with Grad House staff to assist where needed
- Event take down
Please send any questions to Meryl Norris via firstname.lastname@example.org