Professional Skills Foundations is a new professional skills credential for graduate students at the University of Waterloo. Foundations is designed to offer master's and doctoral students broad exposure to and experience in four key skill areas: career preparation, communication, leadership and personal effectiveness.
How it works
This program is completed in three steps:
1) Introductory activities
Before you sign up for core workshops and engage in Foundations activities, you must first:
- Attend a Professional Skills Foundations: Introductory Workshop
- Create an Individual Development Plan (IDP)
- Meet with Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) staff to have your IDP reviewed/approved
2) Core workshops and activities
- Complete one approved workshop and one approved activity within each skill area
- Write a brief report (approximately 500 words) reflecting on the benefits or learning outcomes of participating in each activity
- Write 4-5 learning outcomes or "key takeaways" of the workshops you attended
Once GSPA staff have confirmed you have completed the core workshops and activities, you will be eligible to:
- Complete a mock interview with a staff interviewer
- Receive feedback from the mock interviewer
Program completion confirmation
Upon completion of the capstone, you will be provided with confirmation of program completion in the form of a letter from Associate Vice-President, GSPA, Jeff Casello.
Program goals and outcomes
By the end of the program, participants will:
be able to identify and articulate their skills
develop key skills in career preparation, communication, leadership and personal effectiveness
assess their own skills, interests and values relative to their career goals
increase their confidence and self-awareness as advanced degree candidates exploring career opportunities
Who can apply
To register, participants must:
- be Master's or PhD students officially registered at the University of Waterloo
How to register
Registration in the program is initiated when you register for an introductory workshop, or sign up for the Foundations program via our registration form.
If you are a current Foundations participant, please review the following information for instructions on booking an IDP review/approval meeting, submitting your proof of workshop completion, or submitting your activity reflection.
Booking an IDP review/approval meeting:
- Access the Foundations IDP Review Meeting Doodle to review available appointment times. Please note that appointments take place at Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, located in Needles Hall (NH) 2201.
- Book your meeting by selecting an available time slot in the Doodle and signing up with your first and last name.
- To cancel an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If none of the available appointment times fit with your schedule, please email email@example.com and provide a list of 3 or 4 times and dates that work for you.
Submitting proof of workshop completion:
- Once you have completed a workshop tracking page in your Foundations booklet (including workshop details, facilitator signature and takeaways), take a photo or scan of the completed page.
- Email a copy of the photo or scan to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and student number in your email.
Completing and submitting activity reflections:
- Review the pre- and post-activity reflection questions on the activity tracking pages of the Foundation booklet (pages 14-17).
- Type your one-page (500) word reflection.
- Email your reflection as a PDF or Word document to email@example.com. Please include your full name and student number in your email.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.