At a glance:
- This is a joint program with Universität Mannheim
- March 31 (for admission in September)
Graduate research fields
- Applied Linguistics/Language Acquisition
- Literature/Media Studies
Minimum admission requirements
- A four-year Honours Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in German Studies or a four-year Honours Bachelor’s degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences if evidence justifying admission is offered (with sufficient German proficiency; normally level B2).
- Minimum average of 78% overall in final two years.
- Students whose native language is neither English nor German and who have not taken their first degree in a program taught in either language will have their language skills assessed by the admitting university.
- While every student will be registered at both the University of Waterloo and the Universität Mannheim during the two-year program, students should apply to the university that they will consider their home-university, via that university’s application system. This means that Canadian students should apply to the University of Waterloo while German students should apply to the Universität Mannheim.
- Two academic references
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 90 (writing 25, speaking 25), IELTS 7.0 (writing 6.5, speaking 6.5)
Approximate tuition, fees, and living costs
- Canadian and permanent resident students, full-time: $2,254.00 tuition and $491.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- International students, full-time: $7,254.00 tuition and $703.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- Due to funding restrictions, the Faculty of Arts is currently limiting the number of international students we can admit. Please contact the department's Associate Chair, Graduate Studies prior to applying to discuss your interest in this program.
- Study and living costs