Committee on Student Mental Health
The Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) has been established to develop and implement a plan to translate the PAC-SMH report’s recommendations into specific actions consistent with the intent and purpose of each recommendation. It will also have an on-going role to ensure the long-term continuity of the changes arising from that report in the life of the University. The committee will include stakeholders from across campus, as well as external partners, to support mobilization of the report’s recommendations into all aspects of the University of Waterloo’s culture, functions and activities.
The Committee on Student Mental Health will:
- develop an implementation plan for enacting the report’s recommendations by:
- prioritizing the recommendations to identify those that should be implemented in the short, medium and long term;
- identifying key stakeholders to be engaged and resources required to support working groups to implement each recommendation;
- providing advice to working groups and monitor the implementation process for each recommendation with regard to the agreed timelines for achieving milestones;
- monitoring risks to implementation and providing recommendations to reduce, manage or mitigate those risks;
- develop a long-term strategy for integration of the work of the Committee into the on-going culture, functions and activities of the University.
If you have reached this page because you are seeking mental health support, please go to the Counselling Services website.
Interested in submitting feedback?
Fill out our feedback form.
- Feb. 4, 2019
The Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) is in the final stages of implementing two high-priority recommendations, 17 and 20. Recommendation 17 addresses the accessibility of mental health training and mental health resources for faculty. In the most recent meeting, CoSMH members moved to request the inclusion of a mental health training component in each faculty’s respective onboarding processes and performance evaluations.
- Jan. 7, 2019
The activity of the President’s Advisory Committee on Student Mental Health (PAC-SMH) and the Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) been noted by the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC), which is collaborating with the Canadian Standards Association to create a national standard for Post-Secondary Student Psychological Health and Safety. Dr. John P. Hirdes, CoSMH chair, and Dr. Walter Mittelstaedt, director of Campus Wellness, are working together to engage in the consultation process on a technical committee.
- Dec. 10, 2018
After consultation with representatives from the Student Success Office (SSO), AccessAbility Services, and Campus Wellness, the Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) has made significant progress on Recommendations 17 and 20 (ranked first and second). Upcoming tasks include the examination of strategies to encourage faculty members to engage in mental health training, providing oversight to a steering committee focused on University of Waterloo mental health training programs, and the maintenance of a central resource inventory.