Committee on Student Mental Health
The Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) has been established to develop and implement a plan to translate the PAC-SMH report’s recommendations into specific actions consistent with the intent and purpose of each recommendation. It will also have an on-going role to ensure the long-term continuity of the changes arising from that report in the life of the University. The committee will include stakeholders from across campus, as well as external partners, to support mobilization of the report’s recommendations into all aspects of the University of Waterloo’s culture, functions and activities.
The Committee on Student Mental Health will:
- develop an implementation plan for enacting the report’s recommendations by:
- prioritizing the recommendations to identify those that should be implemented in the short, medium and long term;
- identifying key stakeholders to be engaged and resources required to support working groups to implement each recommendation;
- providing advice to working groups and monitor the implementation process for each recommendation with regard to the agreed timelines for achieving milestones;
- monitoring risks to implementation and providing recommendations to reduce, manage or mitigate those risks;
- develop a long-term strategy for integration of the work of the Committee into the on-going culture, functions and activities of the University.
If you have reached this page because you are seeking mental health support, please go to the Counselling Services website.
Interested in submitting feedback?
Fill out our feedback form.
- Aug. 30, 2019
The Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) reconvened on July 26. As of this meeting, 39% of our recommendations are in progress, and 33% are complete. All of the top 10 priority ranked recommendations are either complete or in progress, and the committee aims to vote to confirm the completion of those recommendations by the fall term.
CoSMH voted to confirm the completion of the following work:
- May 14, 2019
The Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) voted to confirm the completion of recommendation 15, which calls for mechanisms to encourage faculty to address wellness and mental health as part of curriculum development. The Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) provides resources and workshops to support integration of mental health, resilience and support resources into curriculum and course development. Deans, chairs and directors will be asked to share messaging on CTE’s many offerings in faculty council, department and school meetings, and with sessional instructors.
- Apr. 5, 2019
On April 5, the Committee on Student Mental Health voted on the completion of recommendation 18 based on the training modules the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response team has established on campus. Director of Equity Gina Hickman addressed CoSMH to share updates from the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Equity (PACE) and its working groups.
- Nov. 6, 2019
Learn how the Committee on Student Mental Health (CoSMH) has been implementing the President’s Advisory Committee on Student Mental Health (PAC-SMH) recommendations. You will have the opportunity to hear about the progress made, and next steps on the committee’s activities as they begin to wrap up.
Campus and community experts will be available after the event to answer questions and share more about mental health and well-being on the following topics: