We are developing predictive dynamic simulations of locomotion to better understand human motor control and balance. These “what-if” simulations require high-fidelity mathematical models of foot-ground contact and can facilitate virtual exploration and optimization of assistive device designs and surgical interventions, without requiring time-consuming and expensive trial-and-error experiments.
• Human Locomotion
• Foot-Ground Contact Modelling
• Balance Control
• Gait Biomechanics
• Predictive Dynamic Simulations
• Ezati M, Ghannadi B, and McPhee J. (2019). A Review of Simulation Methods for Human Movement Dynamics with Emphasis on Gait. Multibody System Dynamics. DOI: 10.1007/s11044-019-09685-1.
• Brown P and McPhee J. (2018). A 3D Ellipsoidal Volumetric Foot-Ground Contact Model for Forward Dynamics. Multibody System Dynamics. DOI: 10.1007/s11044-017-9605-4.
• Brown P and McPhee J. (2016). A Continuous Velocity-Based Friction Model for Dynamics and Control With Physically Meaningful Parameters. ASME Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. DOI: 10.1115/1.4033658.