In collaboration with Intellijoint Surgical, we are developing multibody dynamic models and optimal controllers to predict human movement biomechanics before and after orthopaedic surgery, specifically hip and knee joint replacements. Our primary objective is to inform orthopaedic surgeons of optimal hip and knee implant positioning to minimize the risk of joint dislocation and discomfort.
• Predictive Dynamic Simulations
• Human Movement Biomechanics
• Optimal Control
• Orthopedic Surgery Planning
• Orthopedic Implants
• Norman-Gerum V and McPhee J. (2018). Constrained Dynamic Optimization of Sit-to-Stand Motion Driven by Bézier Curves. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 140(12), pp. 121011. DOI: 10.1115/1.4041527.
• Norman-Gerum V and McPhee J. (2014). Comparison of Cylindrical Wrapping Geometries to Via Points for Modeling Muscle Paths in the Estimation of Sit-to-Stand Muscle Forces. ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. DOI: 10.1115/DETC2013-13437.