We have developed multibody dynamic models of golfer biomechanics, flexible shafts, ball flight aerodynamics, and clubhead-ball contact dynamics. Optimization is used to systematically evaluate the effects of swing and equipment changes, and are conducted in collaboration with golf-club companies and professional regulatory agencies. Model validation is provided by optical and inertial motion capture, our AboutGolf simulator, pressurized air cannon, and high-speed video camera (600,000 fps).
• Sports Biomechanics
• Sports Engineering
• Club Design and Optimization
• Optimal Golfer Biomechanics
• Predictive Golf Simulations
• McNally W and McPhee J. (2018). Dynamic Optimization of the Golf Swing Using a Six Degree-of-Freedom Biomechanical Model. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060243.
• Brown C and McPhee J. (2018). Dynamics of the Golf Club-Grip Interaction. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060239.
• McNally W, McPhee J, and Henrikson E. (2018). The Golf Shaft’s Influence on Clubhead-Ball Impact Dynamics. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060245.