We have developed high-fidelity multibody dynamic models of golfer biomechanics, flexible shafts, ball-flight aerodynamics, and clubhead-ball contact dynamics. Optimization methods are used to systematically evaluate the effects of swing and equipment changes, and are conducted in collaboration with golf club companies and professional regulatory agencies. Model validation is provided by optical and inertial motion capture systems, our AboutGolf simulator, pressurized air cannon, and high-speed video camera (up to 600,000 fps).
• Sports Biomechanics
• Sports Engineering
• Club Design and Optimization
• Optimal Golfer Biomechanics
• Predictive Golf Swing Simulations
• Human Movement Biomechanics
• McNally W and McPhee J. (2018). Dynamic Optimization of the Golf Swing Using a Six Degree-of-Freedom Biomechanical Model. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060243.
• Brown C and McPhee J. (2018). Dynamics of the Golf Club-Grip Interaction. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060239.
• McNally W, McPhee J, and Henrikson E. (2018). The Golf Shaft’s Influence on Clubhead-Ball Impact Dynamics. 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association. DOI: 10.3390/proceedings2060245.