Solid phase microextraction (SPME) is a simple, fast, and environmentally friendly equilibrium-based sample preparation technique that allows the integration of sampling and sample preparation steps. Although the interest from end-users continues to increase all over the world, it has been recognized that often it is not fully utilized, or difficult in developing methods, due to the lack of proper training. Therefore, starting in April, 1996, a short course has been introduced for users in this technology.
This two-day course, organized by the inventor of SPME, Prof. Janusz Pawliszyn, covers the following topics:
- Introduction to SPME
- Theoretical principles of SPME
- Method development
- Calibration in SPME
- SPME applications in environmental, food and bioanalytical chemistry
- Future directions and development of new SPME devices
The coupling strategies of SPME to gas chromatography (GC) and liquid chromatography (LC) will be introduced in detail during the lecture followed by six-hour hands-on experiments. Advanced experiments can also be arranged for more experienced users. A complete method development strategy will be illustrated by real-life examples.
Who Should Attend
The course is targeted at both potential and current SPME users, who wish to gain a deeper insight into the method and thus increase their productivity. It will be of interest to chemists responsible for method development, analytical chemists, laboratory supervisors, scientists and industry regulators, in the environmental, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, clinical, cosmetic, industrial hygiene and many other fields.
The SPME short course will be offered twice a year (Winter and Spring) at the University of Waterloo, and specially offered at PITTCON as well. Any upcoming courses will be posted here.
- The next SPME course held at the University of Waterloo has been rescheduled on December 7-8, 2017, and April 26-27, 2018. Those interested should fill out the registration_form* and e-mail it to MSc. Nathaly Reyes-Garces
- A special 1-day version of solid phase microextraction course will be offered at PITTCON 2018 (February 25, 2018) held in Orlando, USA. For further details and registration information, please refer to the conference website at pittcon.org.
For all other information regarding course and registration, please contact MSc. Nathaly Reyes-Garces at 519-888-4567 ext. 37288, or send the request to
c/o Prof. Janusz Pawliszyn
Department of Chemistry
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
Phone: +1-519-888-4567 ext 37288
*University of Waterloo is registered for GST/HST and is required to charge it on its revenues as applicable. GST/HST is applicable to fees charged for conferences, seminars, training, non-credit courses and any similar event.