Associate Professor, BP, ERA, EREA
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Waterloo
Telephone 519-888-4567 ext 31095
Resource recovery from waste and wastewater, bioelectrochemistry, microbial ecology, anaerobic oxidation of methane, denitrification, biofilms, and biosensors
- Ph. D., Environmental Engineering, Arizona State University, 2005-2009
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, Inha University, South Korea, 1998-2000
- B.S. Environmental Engineering, Inha University, South Korea, 1994-1998
Adwards and Recognitions
- Early Researcher Award (ERA), 2016.
- Engineering Research Excellence Award (EREA), 2016
- Adjunct professor in Yonsei University, South Korea (2014 to present)
- Guest Editor to Bioresource Technology: Special Issue “Microbial Fuel Cells”, 2015.
- Invited speaker for International Society for Microbial Electrochemical Technologies, Tempe, AZ, US, October 2015
- Session Organizer and Program Chair for “Sustainable wastewater treatment” American Chemical Society, Boston, US, August 2015.
- Invited speaker for IWA conference on Resource Recovery from Organic Waste and Wastewater, Harbin, China, 2014.
- Invited speaker for IWA Regional Conference on Water Reuse and Energy, Daegu, Korea, 2014.
- Conference Chair for the 2nd International Waterloo Conference of Sustainable Wastewater Treatment, Waterloo, Canada, Feb 2014.
- Brain Pool Fellow, 2014.
- Invited speaker for International Conference on Resource Recovery from organic waste and wastewater, Seoul, Korea, 2013.
- Conference Chair for 1st International Waterloo Conference of Sustainable Wastewater Treatment, Waterloo, Canada, August 2012.
- Session Organizer and Program Chair for Bioelectrochemical Cells in 243rd American Chemical Society, San Diego, US, March 2012.
- Program Chair for Advances in Wastewater Treatment. 46th Central Canadian Symposium on Water Quality Research, Burlington, Canada, Feb 2011.
- Session Organizer and Program Chair for Microbial Fuel/Electrolysis Cells in 241th American Chemical Society, Anaheim, US, March 2011.
- Session Organizer and Program Chair for Microbial Bioelectrochemical systems in 3rd World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology, Dalian, China, 2010
- Scientific Board Member in 3rd World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology, Dalian, China, 2010.
- Keynote speaker in the Second International Microbial Fuel Cell, GIST, Gwangju, Republic of Korea, 2009.
- The best paper award in Research in Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Symposium at Arizona State University, 2008.
- Fellowship, Korean-American Scholarship Foundation, 2005.
- Fellowship, Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, 2005.
- The Prime Minister Award, The development of innovative technology, Republic of Korea, 2005.
- Associate Professor, University of Waterloo, 2017-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Waterloo, 2010 – 2017 (parental leave for a year)
- Postdoctoral Associate, Center for Environmental Biotechnology, Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, 2009-2010
- Research Associate, Regional Research Center for Coastal Environments of Yellow Sea, Inha University, 2000-2005
- H.S. Lee, B.E. Rittmann, S. Choi, J.S. Chae. Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell (MFC). Patent US8734968B2 (2014).
- H.S. Lee, C.I. Torres, B.E. Rittmann. Bicarbonate and carbonate as hydroxide carriers in the biological fuel cell. Patent US9142852B2 (2015).
- H.S. Lee, C.I. Torres, A.G. Delgado, R.F. Halden, R. Krajmalnik-Brown, B.E. Rittmann. Methods and Systems for Reduction of Halogenated Compounds. WO2011112540A2 (2011).
- H.S. Lee, C.I. Torres, B.E. Rittmann. Microbial electrolysis cell. WO2010117864A1 (2009).
Research Funding (~$ 3M)
- Energy-saving and -positive domestic wastewater treatment for northern and rural communities. NSERC SPG submitted in 2018.
- Development of disruptive anaerobic technologies for waste diversion and resource recovery. Ontario Research Fund-Research Excellence submitted in 2017.
- Korea-Canada International Collaboration Grant for Network $30,000/year (2017)
- International collaboration grant with Korean Institute of Energy Research $150,000/year(2016)
- Sustainable wastewater treatment, NSERC DG $155,000 (2016-2021)
- Development of new sensors for BOD and E. coli in water. NSERC CRD $125,000 (2016-2018).
- Early Researcher Award, $190,000 (2016-2021)
- Innovative technologies controlling dissolved methane and nitrogen in anaerobic wastewater treatment, NSERC SPG, $567,300 (2015-2018)
- Innovative technologies for controlling dissolved methane and nitrogen in anaerobic wastewater treatment/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2015)
- International Research Partnership Grant / University of Waterloo, $20,000 (2015)
- Development of BOD sensor using microbial fuel cells/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2015)
- International Research Partnership Grant / University of Waterloo, $20,000 (2014)
- Impact of Lystek Addition on Resource Recovery from Municipal Biosolids in a Novel Three-stage Anaerobic System/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2014)
- Optimization of a biological process treating winery wastewater: anaerobic digestion integrated with Waterloo Biofilter/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2014)
- Integrated Sorption Technologies for Recovery of Nitrogen and Phosphorous from Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor Permeates/Canadian Water Network, co-PI, $200,000 (2013-2015)
- CO2 conversion to methane gas using microbial electrochemical cells/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2013)
- Synthesis of hydrogen peroxide from organic wastewaters using microbial fuel cells/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2013)/Ontario Ministry of Economy and Development Innovation, $750,000 (2012-2014)
- Development of microbial electrochemical cells for hydrogen production and autotrophic denitrification/NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2012)
- The production of biochemicals from organic wastewater using biocathode microbial electrochemical cells/Canadian Foundation for Innovation, $150,000 (2012)
- Clean Technologies for Water Refining and Nutrient and Energy Recovery/NSERC CREATE, co-PI, $1,650,000 (2012-2017)
- Evaluation of an emerging aeration and mixing technology for potential energy savings in biological treatment of wastewater/FedDev $50,000 (2012)
- Ammonium Nitrogen Removal from Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor / NSERC Engage, $25,000 (2011)
- Energy recovery from food industry wastewater using microbial electrochemical cells and anaerobic membrane bioreactor/ NSERC CRD, $140,000 (2011)
- International Research Partnership Grant / University of Waterloo, $20,000 (2011)
- Recovering the energy in municipal wastewater with membrane centered processes/Canadian Water Network, co-PI, $500,000 (2011-2013)
- Development of Energy-efficient Wastewater Treatment Technology Using Principles of Microbial Fuel/Electrolysis Cells/NSERC DG, $120,000 (2011-2015)
- Characterization of electrode-respiring bacteria in microbial electrochemical systems/NSERC RTI, $75,000 (2011)
: 6 postdocs, 6 PhD students, 9 master students
- Abid Hussain, NSERC postdoc fellow (2016-2018), tenured-track assistant professor in Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- Elsayed Elelbeshbishy, NSERC postdoc fellow (2013-2015), tenured-track assistant professor, Ryerson University, Canada
- Bipro Dhar, PhD student (2012-2016), tenured-track assistant professor, University of Alberta, Canada
- Dan Cui, PhD student, co-supervision (2012-2016), tenured-track assistant professor, Beijing University of Technology, China
- Junyeoung An, postdoc (2012-2014), principal scientist in Korea Environment Institute
- Weiwei Du, postdoc (2010-2011), principal scientist in EnvironSim Ltd, Canada
- Wudneh Shewa, postdoc (2017), Research Associate in University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Yaohuan Gao, PhD (2011-2015), postdoc in Dalhousie University, Canada
- Mr. Sim, master (2012-2014), engineer in Samsung Engineering, Canada
- Mr. Galib, master (2012-2014), engineer in City of Guelph, Canada
- Mr. Yeo, master (2011-2013), engineer in GreenField Ethanol, Canada
- Mr. Reid, master (2015-2017), engineer in GHD, Canada
- ENVE 276: Environmental Biology and Biotechnology
- ENVE 275: Environmental Chemistry
- ENVE 375: Water Quality Engineering
- CIVE 671: Aquatic Chemistry
- CIVE 770: Special topic “Advanced wastewater treatment”
- Department research committee, 2017
- Teaching grid committee, 2015-present
- Engineering Faculty Council, University of Waterloo, 2012-2014
- Engineering Representation on the Environment Faculty Council, University of Waterloo, 2012-2014
- Health and Safety Committee for Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,
- University of Waterloo, 2013-2015
- Development of MOU between Water Institute of University of Waterloo and Harbin Institute of Technology, 2014
- Development of MOU between Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in University of Waterloo and Department of Civil Engineering Yonsei University, 2012
- American Chemical Society
- International Water Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering & Science Professor
- Canadian Association of Water Quality
- Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy
- Korean Society for Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Water Research
- Bioresource Technology
- Scientific Reports
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering
- Applied Environmental Microbiology
- Chemical Engineering Journal
- RSC Advances
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Environmental Technology
- Enzyme and Microbial Technology
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- Microbial Ecology
- Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- NSF, USA
Interview and Media Relations
- Daily Commercial News. Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing? December 9, 2013
- Resource recovery from organic waste and wastewater: water, energy, and nutrients, Harbin, 2014.
- Microbial electrochemical cells, Yonsei University, South Korea, 2014.
- Understanding dissolved methane in anaerobic wastewater treatment, KIST, South Korea, 2014.
- Energy extraction from wet biomass, KIT, 2013.
- Implication of anaerobic biotechnologies in sustainable treatment of organic waste and wastewater, Korean Ministry of Agriculture, 2013.
- Sustainable biotechnology to treat organic wastes and wastewaters. Invited speech, Brazil Delegation Meeting, the University of Waterloo. March 12, 2012
- Nitrogen Control Using Natural Zeolite Ion Exchange Column and Zeolite-Based Biofilter in Permeates of Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactors (AnMBRs), GE Water and Process Technologies, Dundas, Canada, 2012.
- Microbial electrochemical cells: fundamentals and applications. Trojan Technology, London, March 2012.
- Recovery of value-added products from waste biomass using advanced biotechnologies. Advisory council meeting in WISE, May, 2012.
- Special seminar for nitrogen recovering technologies, GE Water and Process Technologies, Dundas, Canada, 2011.
Invited Speech, Anaerobic wastewater treatment technologies: Production of value-added products. Frito-Lay Cambridge Net Zero Seminar, University of Waterloo, 2011.