Ju (Julia) Huyan
Current Research Interests
Pavement Distress Detection and Condition Evaluation Using Machine Learning Techniques
Academic and Professional Curriculum
- 2016-present: Ph.D. Candidate, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 2013-2016: M.Sc. in Transportation Information Engineering and Control, School of Information Engineering, Chang’ An University, China.
- 2009-2013: B.Sc. in Communication Engineering, School of Information Engineering, Chang’ An University, China.
Academic Awards and Recognition
- 2016: Graduate Research Studentship (GRS), University of Waterloo, (ON, Canada)
- 2016: International Doctoral Student Award (IDSA), University of Waterloo, (ON, Canada)
- 2017 Wei Li, Ju Huyan, Susan Tighe, Qingqing Ren, Zhaoyun Sun. Three-Dimensional Pavement Crack Detection Algorithm Based on Two-Dimensional Empirical Mode Decomposition. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B:Pavements. 2017,6,143 (2).
- 2017 Wei Li, Ju Huyan, Susan Tighe, Nana Shao, Zhaoyun Sun. An innovative Primary Surface Profile-based three-dimensional pavement distress data filtering approach for optical instruments and tilted pavement model-related noise reduction.Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2017,9.
- 2018 Wei Li, Ju Huyan, Susan Tighe. Pavement Cracking Detection Based on Three-dimensional Data Using Improved Active Counter Model ( ACM ). Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B:Pavements. 2018,6,144 (2)
Julia was born and raised in China. She obtained both of her B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from Chang’ An University, in an old city: Xi’an of China. During her study in China, she has participated in the several research program using innovative technologies for 3D image based pavement distress detection and pavement condition evaluation, which gained her qualifications for using state of the art technologies for pavement management and decision making.
Julia Joined Centre for Pavement and Transportation Technology (CPATT ) in 2016 perusing her Ph.D. degree under the supervision of Professor Susan Tighe. Her current research fields include pavement management; pavement condition evaluation; 3D(2D) image processing pavement distress detection; Artificial Intelligent (AI), machine learning, and deep learning techniques for pavement condition assessment and evaluation.