The Bachelor of Social Work, offered as a full-time professional degree program at Renison University College, prepares students for ethical, critically reflective, anti-oppressive, competent and accountable social work practice.
Our students graduate with a highly respected Honours Bachelor of Social Work degree from the University of Waterloo, renowned for its spirit of innovation and its outstanding academic programs.
Our program offers:
- Full-time program completed in three terms, of ten months total duration. Courses are offered on-campus, only.
- Conditional Admission for applicants who have a BA (or equivalent), from an accredited university, but who lack the required pre-requisite courses.
- Field practicum opportunities which are supported by a large network of social service agencies and organizations. Full-time students are in their practicum settings three days per week throughout the program.
- Applicants to the University of Waterloo who hold a Social Service Worker diploma (or equivalent) and who are applying to the SDS/BSW pathway at Renison University College are eligible for conditional admission consideration to the BSW Program. This will be conditional on their completion of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Development Studies (SDS) with a 70% minimum GPA (including the 10 BSW pre-requisite social work courses). This constitutes a one-step pathway to the BSW degree.
- For questions about the SDS/BSW Pathway and how to apply contact: email@example.com
- For more information about the BSW program contact: Keri Raif Sura: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mature Student Admissions for applicants who have completed a Bachelor of Arts degree (or equivalent) four or more years prior to applying and who do not meet the minimum required 70% overall average may be considered for admission to the Bachelor of Social Work Program upon completion of the prerequisite courses with a cumulative overall average in the courses of at least 75%.
For further information please contact Keri Raif Sura: email@example.com
The professional Social Work full-time program is completed in three terms (10 months) of university study. Students are in academic courses on campus two days a week (Thursday and Friday) and are in their field practicum three days a week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday).
The degree of Honours Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) is awarded by the University of Waterloo upon successful completion of the requirements of the program. No degree will be granted to a student who does not complete the program requirements, including the cumulative overall average of 75%. Convocation for all BSW students takes place at the Fall convocations of the University of Waterloo and Renison.
BSW graduates are eligible to apply for Master of Social Work (MSW) programs at Canadian universities and for MSW programs in the United States.
See also the Renison Registrar's Office Convocation Information.
Our Bachelor of Social Work program is accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education. CASWE accredits professional social work education Programs in Canada at bachelor and master levels. Accreditation is focussed on a Program of study as opposed to an institution, such as school, faculty, or department. The Bachelor of Social Work in the School of Social Work is an accredited Program.