The Bachelor of Social Work, offered as a part-time professional degree program at Renison University College, prepares students for ethical, critically reflective, anti-oppressive, competent and accountable social work practice.
All our students graduate with a highly respected Honours Bachelor of Social Work degree from the University of Waterloo, renowned for its spirit of innovation and its outstanding academic programs.
Our program offers:
- Part-time studies which provides flexibility by allowing students to earn their degree within 3 years. Most of the courses are offered on campus. A few courses are offered fully online. There are also 'multi-modal' courses with on-campus and on-line components. Note: This is NOT an online program.
- Conditional Admission for applicants who have a BA (or equivalent), from an accredited university, but who lack the required pre-requisite courses
- Small classes with opportunities for interaction with classmates and teachers
- Field practicum opportunities which are supported by a large network of social service agencies and organizations. Full-time students are in their practicum settings three days per week throughout the program. Part-time students practicum requirements will entail a minimum of two consecutive 7-hour days per week during the practicum period.
- A rich diversity of ages, ethnicities, cultures, religions and perspectives
- Please find further details regarding the Part-time BSW program below:
Part-time studies may be completed within three years of university study. Two courses are offered in each semester. Most of the courses are on campus. A few courses are offered fully online. There are multi-modal offerings with on-campus and on-line components. Field practicum requirements will entail a minimum of two consecutive 7-hour days per week in practicum. NOTE: this is NOT an online program.
The degree of Honours Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) is awarded by the University of Waterloo upon successful completion of the requirements of the program. No degree will be granted to a student who does not complete the program requirements, including the cumulative overall average of 75%. Convocation for all BSW students takes place at the Fall convocations of the University of Waterloo and Renison. Part-time students, who complete their degree on or before the end of the winter term, may also convocate at the Spring convocations.
BSW graduates are eligible to apply for Master of Social Work (MSW) programs at Canadian universities and for MSW programs in the United States.
See also the Renison Registrar's Office Convocation Information.
Accreditation of professional social work education programs in Canada is a function of the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE), a national association of university and college faculties, schools, departments, modules, and individuals offering professional education in social work at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate levels.
CASWE accredits professional social work education Programs in Canada at bachelor and master levels. Accreditation is focussed on a Program of study as opposed to an institution, such as school, faculty, or department. The Bachelor of Social Work in the School of Social Work is an accredited Program.