If you're not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you must have a valid study permit to study in Canada at the University of Waterloo unless you meet one of the exemptions

To enter Canada all international students, regardless of length of study, need to have either a valid study permit or a letter of introduction (study permit approval letter issued outside of Canada). In all scenarios, unless you are a United States citizen, a valid entry document is also required. 

If you attended high school in Canada, we recommend that you apply for your post-secondary study permit as soon as possible after you are accepted to the University of Waterloo, so that you have the ability to work part-time during your full-time studies. If your high school study permit has any conditions or remarks only allowing study at the high school level or at a specific high school, you need to receive your post-secondary study permit before your first day of classes at the University.

Note: University of Waterloo's Designated Learning Institution# (DLI number) is O19305471522. You will need Waterloo's DLI number for your application.

See below for more support and resources about immigration documents.