All study permit applications must be submitted online. Please visit the IRCC study permit webpage to get specific instructions on how to apply. Depending on how you answer the questions, you may be instructed to use either an IRCC secure account (GC Key) or the IRCC Portal. Applications submitted outside of Canada are processed by the Canadian visa office that serves the country where you are residing. If you are already in Canada, you may be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada if you meet the specific requirements. If you are a United States citizen or Green Card holder, or a resident of Greenland or Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, you may also apply at a Canadian port of entry. Determine where you can apply for your study permit.

The time it will take to process your application will vary, but you can check estimated processing times on the Government of Canada website. We recommend applying for your study permit as soon as you receive your Offer of Admission/Letter of Acceptance and have collected all of the required documents.

If you were accepted to Waterloo as an exchange student, please visit the exchange page for more information about your immigration documents.

Please note: Due to variation among Canadian visa offices and the complexity of study permit applications abroad, the immigration consultants are unable to review applications being submitted outside of Canada or fully advise on application refusals outside of Canada.

Before you begin the application process, we recommend watching our info session on applying for your first study permit. If you are using the IRCC secure account (GC Key) to apply, watch our video about the account creation process in detail.