Estimated reading time: 3-4 minutes

Processing times vary depending on which U.S. Embassy or Consulate you apply through. Please visit this U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Canada website for up-to-date information on their operations.

If you are going to visit the United States of America during your stay in Canada, you may require a United States (U.S.) visitor visa depending on your country of citizenship. The U.S. has many different categories of U.S. visas. To visit the U.S., there is the B1 or B2 visa or a combination of both.

If you hold a passport issued by People's Republic of China, and hold a valid B1, B2, or B1/B2 U.S. visitor visa, you must also have valid enrolment in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) to travel to the United States.

If you are from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country, you do not need a U.S. visitor visa. However, a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is required. You must also have an e-Passport to enter the U.S. unless you have a valid non-immigrant visa. 

Co-operative Education and Career Action has information about working in the U.S.

For more information about travelling to the U.S., see U.S. Customs and Border Protection (PDF).