Location: Office: E6 4012, Lab: E6 4113
Phone: Office: 519-888-4567 x36084, Lab: 519-888-4567 x38835
Marc Aucoin is the Associate Chair, Operations and a Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering
. He specializes in Biochemical Engineering
, particularly in cell culture engineering for the production of complex biologics: from proteins (projects have included work on myristoylated proteins, antibodies and other immune-system related proteins), to DNA, to virus-like particles, viruses and viral vectors.
Professor Aucoin’s research work makes use of several cell culture platforms including insect (Sf9, Hi5) and mammalian cells (CHO, Vero). One aspect of Prof. Aucoin's work involves the use of 1D-1H NMR for optimizing cell culture processes.
Through his work with viruses, Prof. Aucoin has also gained an interest in examining the stability of virus in complex solutions including cell culture media. This has led to collaborations with industry in the area of virus inactivation and virus control.
At the University, Prof. Aucoin is also a Faculty Advisor for the university’s international Genetically Engineered Machine
(iGEM) competition student team. Prof. Aucoin is an active member of the Centre for Bioengineering and Biotechnology
and the Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research
. He is also a member of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
. More information can be found on his personal website
- Virus propagation
- Viral vector
- Virus-like particle
- Vaccine production
- Gene delivery
- Animal cell culture
- Biochemical & Biomedical
- Mammalian cell
- Bioprocess development
- Monoclonal Antibody Production and Modification
- Biologic Production
- Baculovirus Expression Vectors
- Serological Assays
- Cell Culture Monitoring
- Modeling and Simulation
- Synthetic Biology
My research interest surrounds the production of therapeutics that are either able to incite or evade the human immune system. In this vein, I am dedicated to establishing a laboratory in the areas of smart vaccine development and production. My research involves the study of lipid enveloped viruses, including baculoviruses, influenza and coronaviruses.
- 2007, Doctorate Chemical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Canada
- 2003, Master's Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
- 2000, Bachelor's Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
- 2022 Faculty of Engineering Outstanding Performance Award
- 2018 Faculty of Engineering Distinguished Performance Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching, Scholarship and Service
- 2016 Faculty of Engineering Outstanding Performance Award
- 2011 Faculty of Engineering Distinguished Performance Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching, Scholarship and Service
- 2021- Accociate Chair, Operations
- 2020-2021 Interim Chair, Department of Chemical Engineering
- 2020 Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies, Department of Chemical Engineering
- 2013-2020 Academic Director, WatPD Engineering
- Professional Engineers Ontario
- Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering
- Canadian Socivety for Virology
Affiliations and Volunteer Work
- Academic Cross-Appointment, School of Optometry, Faculty of Science, 2022 – present
- Academic Cross-Appointment, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, 2020 – present
- Academic Cross-Appointment, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science 2012 - present
- Academic Cross-Appointment, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science 2008 – present
- CHE 180 - Chemical Engineering Design Studio 1
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- CHE 500 - Special Topics in Chemical Engineering
- CHE 562 - Advanced Bioprocess Engineering
- CHE 660 - Principles of Biochemical Engineering
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Frenette A, Rodríguez-Ramos T, Zanuzzo F, Ramsay D, Semple SL, Soullière C, Rodríguez-Cornejo T, Heath G, McKenzie E, Iwanczyk J, Bruder M*, Aucoin MG, Gamperl AK, Dixon B (2022), InVitro, Ex-Vivo and In Vivo, Developmental and Comparative Immunology.
- Bruder MR* and Aucoin MG (2022), Utility of alternative promoters for foreign gene expression using the baculovirus expression vector system, Viruses.
- Bruder MR*, Aucoin MG (2022), Evaluation of virus-free manufacture of recombinant proteins using CRISPR-mediated gene disruption in baculovirus-infected insect cells, Vaccines.
- Nogueira CL*, Boegel SJ*, Shukla M, Ngo W, Jones L, Aucoin MG (2022), The Impact of a Rub and Rinse Regimen on Removal of Human Coronaviruses from Contemporary Contact Lens Materials, Contact Lens and Anterior Eye.
- Varga JFA, Brunner SR, Cheng G, Min D*, Aucoin MG, Doxey A, Dixon B. (2022), Identification and characterization of a novel peptide from rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) with antimicrobial activity against Streptococcus iniae, Developmental and Comparative Immunology, Volume 137, Issue 104518.
- Bruder MR*, Aucoin MG (2022), Development of a sensitive assay for efficient scrutiny of AcMNPV genes using CRISPR-Cas9, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- Liu M, Bauman L, Nogueira CL*, Aucoin MG, Anderson WA, Zhao B (2022), Antimicrobial Polymeric Composites for Healthcare Applications, Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering, Volume 22, 100395.
- Nogueira CL*, Boegel SJ*, Shukla M, Ngo W, Jones L, Aucoin MG (2022), Antiviral Activity of Contemporary Contact Lens Solutions Against Human Seasonal Coronavirus Strains, Pathogens, Volume 11, Issue 4, 472.
- Sahaa DC, Boegel SJ*, Tanvirb S, Nogueira CL*, Aucoin MG, Anderson WA, Jahed H (2022), Antiviral and antibacterial cold spray coating application on rubber substrate, disruption in disease transmission chain, Journal of Thermal Spray.
- Marcali M*, Chen X, Aucoin MG, Ren CL (2022), Droplet Formation of Biological Non-Newtonian Fluid in T-Junction Generators, Part I: Experimental Investigation, Physical Review E, Volume 105, 025105.
- Marcali M*, Chen X, Aucoin MG, Ren CL (2022), Droplet Formation with a Biological Non-Newtonian Fluid in T-Junction Generators. Part II: Model for Final Droplet Volume Prediction, Physical Review E, Volume 105, 025106.
- Sadr S*, Zargar B, Perez J, Aucoin MG, Ingalls BP (2022), Clostridium sporogenes, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology: Synthetic Biology.
- Yip A*, Smith-Roberge J, Haghayegh Khorasania S*, Aucoin MG, Ingalls BP (2022), Calibrating Spatiotemporal Models of Microbial Communities to Microscopy Data: A Review, PLoS Computational Biology, Volume 18, Issue 10, e1010533.
- Logan M*, Rinas K, McConkey B, Aucoin MG (2022), Vero cells gain renal tubule markers in low-calcium and magnesium chemically defined media, Scientific Reports, Volume 12, 6180.
- Walji SD*, Bruder MR*, Aucoin MG (2021), Virus Matrix Interference on Virucidal Activity of High-Touch Surfaces Designed to Prevent Hospital-Acquired Infections, Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control, Volume 10, Issue 133, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343011195_Virus_Matrix_Interference_on_Assessment_of_Virucidal_Activity_of_High-Touch_Surfaces_Designed_to_Prevent_Hospital-Acquired_Infections
- Quattrociocchi M*, Boegel SJ*, Aucoin MG (2021), Enhanced characterization of yeast hydrolysate combining acid digestion and 1D-1H NMR targeted profiling, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Volume 99, Issue S1, 1-11.
- Delumeau L-V, Asgarimoghaddam H, Alkie T, Jones AJB, Mistry K, Aucoin MG, DeWitte-Orr S, Musselman KP (2021), Effectiveness of Metal and Metal-Oxide Thin-Film Coatings in Decreasing the Infectious Potential of Human Coronavirus 229E, APL Materials, Volume 9, 111114.
- Havaei SM, Aucoin MG, Jahanian-Najafabadi A (2021), Pseudomonas Exotoxin based immunotoxins: over three decades of efforts on targeting cancercells with the toxin, Frontiers in Oncology: Cancer Molecular Targets and Therapeutics, Volume 11, 781800.
- Bruder MR*, Walji SD*, Aucoin MG (2021), Comparison of CRISPR-Cas9 tools for transcriptional repression and gene disruption in the BEVS, Viruses, Volume 13, Issue 1925.
- Lall D, Miscevic D, Bruder M*, Westbrook A, Aucoin M, Moo-Young M, Chou CP (2021), Escherichia coli, Bioresources and Bioprocessing, Volume 8, 122.
- Boegel SJ*, Gabriel M*, Sasges M, Petri B, Ang JC*, D’Agostina M, Zhang A, Miller M, Meunier S*, Aucoin MG (2021), Ultraviolet Disinfection of Coronaviruses: SARS CoV-2 response in-line with seasonal coronavirus surrogates, Microbiology Spectrum, Volume 9, Issue e00537-21.
- Ganobis C, Al-Abdul-Wahid MS, Renwick S, Yen S*, Carriero C, Aucoin MG, Allen-Vercoe E (2020), 1D 1H NMR as a tool for fecal metabolomics., Current Protocols in Chemical Biology, Volume 12, e83, doi: 10.1002/cpch.83
- Wulff D*, Aucoin MG, Gu FX (2020), Helium ion microscopy of corn starch, Starch, Volume 1900267, N/A, https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201900267
- Walji SD*, Aucoin MG. (2020), A Critical Evaluation of Current Protocols for Self-Sterilizing Surfaces Designed to Reduce Viral Nosocomial Infections, American Journal of Infection Control, Volume 48, Issue 10, 1255-1260, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2020.02.008
- Moussa HI, Chan WY, Logan M*, Aucoin MG and Tsui TY (2020), Limitation in Controlling the Morphology of Mammalian Vero Cells Induced by Cell Division on Asymmetric Tungsten-Silicon Oxide Nanocomposite., Materials, Volume 13, Issue 2, 335.
- Wulff D*, Chan A, Liu Q, Gu F X, Aucoin MG (2020), Characterizing internal cavity modulation of corn starchmicrocapsules., Heliyon, Volume 6, Issue 10, e05294.
- Gabriel MA*, Dare EV*, Meunier SM*, Campbell JL, Sasges M, Aucoin MG. (2019), Ultraviolet irradiation of trypsin, lysozyme and B-galactosidase: can UVC be used as a secondary barrier against adventitious agents?, Vaccine, Volume 37, Issue 43, 6518-6525.
- Logan M*, Manalil J*, Notte C, Kearse C, George S*, Zeiser A, Farrell P, Aucoin MG (2019), A flow cytometric granularity assay for the quantification of infectious virus, Vaccine, Volume 37, Issue 47, 7090-7099.
- Shafiee F, Aucoin MG, Jahanian-Najafabadi A (2019), Targeted Diphtheria Toxin Based Therapy: A Review Article, Frontiers Microbiology, Volume 10, Issue Art. 2340, NA.
- Yen S*, Bolte E, Aucoin MG, Allen-Vercoe E (2018), Metabonomic evaluation of fecal water preparation methods: the effects of ultracentrifugation, Current Metabolomics, Volume 6, 57-63.
- Tsui TY, Logan M*, Moussa HI, Aucoin MG (2018), What's happening on the other side? Revealing nano-meter scale features of mammalian cells on engineered textured tantalum surfaces, Materials, Volume 12, Issue 1, 114.
- Moussa HI, Logan M*, Wong K, Rao Z, Aucoin MG, Tsui TY (2018), Nanoscale-textured tantalum surfaces for mammalian cell alignment., Micromachines, Volume 9, Issue 9, 464-482.
- Moussa HI, Logan M*, Chan WY, Wong K, Rao Z, Aucoin MG, Tsui TY (2018), Pattern-dependent mammalian cell (Vero) morphology on tantalum/silicon oxide 3-D nano-composites., Biomaterials: Advanced Biomaterials for Cell Adhesions, Proliferation and Differentiation, Volume 11, 1306-1322.
- Blondeel EJM*, Aucoin MG (2018), Supplementing glycosylation: A review of applying nucleotide-sugar precursors to growth medium to affect therapeutic recombinant protein glycoform distributions, Biotechnology Advances, Volume 36, Issue 5, 1505-1523.
- Dare EV*, Gabriel M*, Begum A, Sasges M, Aucoin MG (2017), The effect of hydrogen peroxide produced during ultraviolet disinfection of CHO cell culture media, Process Biochemistry, Volume 61, 147-155.
- Moussa HI, Logan M*, Siow GC, Phann DL, Aucoin MG, Tsui TY (2017), Manipulating mammalian cell morphologies using chemical-mechanical polished integrated circuit chips, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, Volume 18, Issue 1, 839-856.
- Meunier SM*, Sasges M, Aucoin MG (2017), Evaluating Ultraviolet Sensitivity of Adventitious Agents in Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing, Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, Volume 44, 893-909.
- Srirangan K*, Stacey LE, Newton C, Akawi LK*, Chou CP, Aucoin MG (2017), Use of a case on metabolically engineered Escherichia coli to develop a framework for the design and analysis of bioprocesses., International Journal of Engineering Education, Volume 33, Issue 2A, 751-760.
- Blondeel EJM*, Ho R, Schulze S*, Sokolenko S*, Guillemette SR*, Slivac I, Durocher Y, Guillemette JG, McConkey BJ, Chang D, Aucoin MG (2016), An Omics Approach to Rational Feed: Enhancing Growth in CHO Cultures with NMR Metabolomics and 2D-DIGE Proteomics, Journal of Biotechnology, Volume 234, 127-138.
- Pyne ME, Sokolenko S*, Liu X, Srirangan K*, Bruder M*, Aucoin M, Moo-Young M, Chung DA, Chou CP (2016), Disruption of the reductive 1,3-propanediol pathway triggers production of 1,2-propanediol for sustained glycerol fermentation by Clostridium pasteurianum., Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Volume 82, Issue 17, 5375-5388.
- Sokolenko S*, Quattrociocchi M*, Aucoin MG (2016), Identifying model error in metabolic flux analysis - A generalized least squares approach, BMC Systems Biology, Volume 10, Issue 91, 14pp.
- Meunier SM*, Todorovic B*, Dare EV*, Begum A, Guillemette S*, Wenger A*, Saxena P, Campbell JL, Sasges M, Aucoin MG. (2016), Impact of dissolved oxygen during UV-irradiation on the chemical composition and function of CHO cell culture, PLoS ONE, Volume 11, Issue 3, e0150957.
- Thompson CM*, Aucoin MG, Kamen AA, Chapter 14: Production of Virus-Like Particles for Vaccination, Edition 3, Volume 1350, 299-314, Humana Press, 2016.
- Thompson CM*, Montes J, Aucoin MG, Kamen AA, Chapter 11: Recombinant Protein Production in Large Scale Agitated Bioreactors Using the Baculovirus Expression Vector System, Edition 3, Volume 1350, 241-261, Humana Press, 2016.
- Sokolenko S*, Aucoin M G (2015), A correction method for systematic error in 1H-NMR cell culture data validated through stochastic time-course simulation, BMC Systems Biology, Volume 9, Issue 1, 51.
- Bradley RM, Marvyn PM, Henao JJA, Mardian EB, George S*, Aucoin MG, Stark K, Duncan RD (2015), Acylglycerophosphate acyltransferase 4 (AGPAT4) is a mitochondrial lysophosphatidic acid acyltransferase that regulates brain phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylethanolamine, and phosphatidylinositol levels, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, Volume 1851, Issue 12, 1566–1576.
- Blondeel EJM*, Braasch K, McGill T*, Chang D, Spearman M, Butler M, Aucoin MG (2015), Tuning a MAb glycan profile in cell culture: Supplementing N-acetylglucosamine to favour G0 glycans without compromising productivity and cell growth., Journal of Biotechnology, Volume 214, 105-112.
- Yen S*, McDonald J, Schroeter K, Oliphant K, Sokolenko S*, Blondeel EJ*, Allen-Vercoe E, Aucoin MG (2015), Metabolomic analysis of human fecal microbiota: a comparison of feces-derived communities and defined mixed communities., Journal of Proteome Research, Volume 14, Issue 3, 1472-82.
- Thompson CM*, Petiot E, Mullick A, Aucoin MG, Henry O, Kamen AA (2015), Critical assessment of influenza VLP production in Sf9 and HEK293 expression systems, BMC Biotechnology, Volume 15, 31.
- George S*, Jauhar AM* , Mackenzie J*, Kie?lich S*, Aucoin MG (2015), Temporal characterization of protein production levels from baculovirus vectors coding for GFP and RFP genes under non-conventional promoter control, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Volume 112, Issue 9, 1822-31.
- George S*, Aucoin MG, Characterization of Alternative Promoters toStagger and Control Protein Expression in the Baculovirus-Insect Cell System:From Intracellular Reporter Proteins to Fluorescent Influenza Virus-like Particles., 24th European Society for Animal Cell Technology (ESACT) Meeting: C2P2: Cells, Culture, Patients, Products, Barcelona, BMC Proceedings, 49-51, 2015.
- Yen S*, Sokolenko S*, Manocha B*, Blondeel EJ*, Aucoin MG, Patras A, Daynouri-Pancino F, Sasges M (2014), Treating cell culture media with UV irradiation against adventitious agents: minimal impact on CHO performance., Biotechnology Progress, Volume 30, Issue 5, 1190-5.
- Sokolenko S*, Blondeel EJ*, Azlah N*, George B*, Schulze S*, Chang D, Aucoin MG (2014), Profiling convoluted single-dimension proton NMR spectra: a Plackett-Burman approach for assessing quantification error of metabolites in complex mixtures with application to cell culture., Analytical Chemistry, Volume 86, Issue 7, 3330-7.
- Suh YH*, Kim BJ*, Tam KC, Aucoin MG (2013), Detection and characterization of hemoglobin dissociation and aggregation using microcalorimetry, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Volume 115, 2159-2169.
- Nicastro J , Sheldon K , El-Zarkout F A , Sokolenko S*, Aucoin M G , Slavcev R (2013), Construction and analysis of a genetically tuneable lytic phage display system., Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Volume 97, Issue 17, 7791-7804.
- Srirangan K, Akawi L, Liu X, Westbrook A, Blondeel EJ*, Aucoin MG, Moo-Young M, Chou C P (2013), Manipulating the sleeping beauty mutase operon for the production of 1-propanol in engineered Escherichia coli., Biotechnology for Biofuels, Volume 6, Issue 1, 139.
- Sokolenko S*, McKay R, Blondeel E J M*, Lewis M J, Chang D, George B*, Aucoin M G (2013), Understanding the variability of compound quantification from targeted profiling metabolomics 1D-1H-NMR spectra in synthetic mixtures and urine with additional insight on choice of pulse sequences and robotic sampling, Metabolomics, Volume 9, 887–903.
- Thompson CM*, Petiot E, Aucoin MG, Henry O, Kamen AA, Developing a production process for influenza VLPs: a comparison between HEK 293SF and Sf9 production platforms., 23rd European Society for Animal Cell Technology (ESACT) Meeting: Better Cells for Better Health, Lille, BMC Proceedings, 22, 2013.
- Lai YP*, Sun KEK*, Takamura H*, Moresoli C, Aucoin MG, Designing an undergraduate food processing laboratory for the University of Waterloo, Canadian Engineering Education Association (ceea13) Conference, 2013.
- Sokolenko S*, Nicastro J, Slavcev R, Aucoin M G (2012), Graphical analysis of flow cytometer data for characterizing controlled fluorescent protein display on ? phage., Cytometry. Part A : The Journal of the International Society for Analytical Cytology, Volume 81, Issue 12, 1031-1039.
- George S*, Sokolenko S*, Aucoin M G (2012), Rapid and cost-effective baculovirus sample preparation method as a viable alternative to conventional preparation for quantitative real-time PCR., Journal of Virological Methods, Volume 182, Issue 1-2, 27-36.
- Sokolenko S*, George S*, Wagner A*, Tuladhar A*, Andrich J M*, Aucoin M G (2012), Co-expression vs. co-infection using baculovirus expression vectors in insect cell culture: Benefits and drawbacks., Biotechnology Advances, Volume 30, Issue 3, 766-781.
- Moonesan MS, George S*, Aucoin M, Jayaram S, Effect of process parameters on the inactivation and electrode reactions during PEF treatment of liquid foods, International Conference Bio & Food Electrotechnologies, BFE 2012, Salerno, 2012.
- Kamen A A, Aucoin M G, Merten O W, Alves P, Hashimoto Y, Airenne K, Hu Y C, Mezzina M, van Oers M M (2011), An initiative to manufacture and characterize baculovirus reference material., Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, Volume 107 Suppl, 113-117.
- Transfiguracion J , Mena J A , Aucoin M G , Kamen A A (2011), Development and validation of a HPLC method for the quantification of baculovirus particles., Journal of Chromatography B,, Volume 879, Issue 1, 61-68.
- Sokolenko S*, Cheng Y-L*, Aucoin M G (2010), Getting more from cell size distributions: establishing more accurate biovolumes byestimating viable cell populations, Biotechnology Progress.
- Mena JA, Aucoin MG, Montes J, Chahal PS, Kamen AA (2010), Improving adeno-associated vector yield in high density insect cell cultures, Journal of Gene Medicine.
- Aucoin M G, Mena J A , Kamen A A (2010), Bioprocessing of baculovirus vectors: a review, Current Gene Therapy, Volume 10, Issue 3, 174-186.
In The News