Six women recognized as 2021 Co-op Student of the Year Winners
By: Namish Modi (he/him)
From providing engaging social media for non-profits to developing an IOS app, University of Waterloo’s Co-op Students of the Year made a difference in 2021.
Co-operative and Experiential Education (CEE) Associate Provost Norah McRae and director of Co-operative Education Ross Johnston presented the 2021 Co-op Students of the Year and Problem Lab award winners on March 21, 2022, in a virtual ceremony.
This year, six women were recognized for their exemplary performance amid another pandemic year of in-person, hybrid, and remote work.
“To announce six outstanding women as our students of the year during a month when International Women’s Day falls is particularly special,” says McRae.
Each year, one student from each faculty at Waterloo is presented with a Co-op Student of the Year award for exceptional contributions to their employers.
“It goes without saying the quality of our co-op program us thanks to our fantastic students,” says Johnston.
The winners of the 2021 awards are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts: Ingrid Kaffka
- Faculty of Engineering: Sarah Odinotski
- In addition to her Waterloo accomplishment, Odinotski was also recognized on a national and provincial level. She was named an honourable mention from both Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Canada and Experiential Work-Integrated Learning Ontario.
- Faculty of Environment: Emma Schuster
- Faculty of Health: Madison McBay
- Faculty of Math: Laura Bumbulis
- Faculty of Science: Camille Huo