Are you in crisis, feeling unsafe, or worried you might hurt yourself or others? If you are experiencing a life-threatening issue, please call 911.
Counselling Services - 519-888-4096. Offers appointments for emergencies. We are currently providing services by phone and video.
Health Services - Student Medical Clinic - 519-888-4096. Open for all medical services, with modified or alternative service delivery. All appointments will be addressed via phone or video if possible.
Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office (SVPRO) - Supports all members of the University of Waterloo campus community who have experienced, or been impacted, by sexual violence.
- The SVPRO is not a crisis service. If you are in crisis, please view a list of contacts on the Crisis Support Services page.
UW Police - 519-888-4567 ext. 22222
For emergency services on campus 24/7.
Region of Waterloo
Non-emergency Waterloo Regional Police Services - 519-653-7700
Grand River Hospital - 519-749-4300
St. Mary's Hospital - 519-744-3311
Kitchener-Waterloo Sexual Assault Support Centre - 519-741-8633
Here 24/7 - 1-844-437-3247
- Supports addictions, mental health and crisis services
Huron Perth Helpline (Stratford) - 1-888-829-7484
Stratford General Hospital - 519-272-8210
Cambridge Memorial Hospital - 519-621-2330
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
- Confidential and anonymous
- Available to all Ontario post-secondary students
Crisis Services Canada - 1-833-456-4566 or by text 45645
Empower Me, Mental Health Resources - 1-833-628-5589
- Counselling is available via phone, video, and in person
- Available 24/7, 365 days in 22 countries worldwide. Please see alternate phone numbers under the International Students section below.
Off-campus emergency information
- Go to the nearest hospital or a safe place.
- Call a local help line.
- Contact us during regular University of Waterloo hours at Counselling Services or Health Services, and we'll try to find local supports to help you.
- For information on health care centres including a diversity of healthcare support located in your current province/territory, check out the Co-operative Education mental health resources page.
- If you are out of the province, please seek health care where you are or contact EmpowerME at 1-833-628-5589. If you’ve been receiving care from us and are having difficulty finding care in another province or country, please contact us to discuss your options and next steps.
In addition to the number accessible from Canada and the US, you can reach EmpowerMe from the following countries at these toll-free numbers:
- Australia: 1-800-340-3008
- Austria: 0800295829
- Belgium: 1-800-340-3008
- Brazil: 08008912519
- Chile: 12300200882
- China: North: 108007142831
- China: South: 108001402851
- Denmark: 1-800-340-3008
- Finland: 1-800-340-3008
- France: 1-800-340-3008
- Germany: 1-800-340-3008
- Greece: 0080016122040048
- India: 0008000403798
- Ireland: 1-800-340-3008
- Jamaica: 1-855-480-2240
- Mexico: 018008741304
- New Zealand: 1-800-340-3008
- Saudi Arabia: 8008500941
- Singapore: 1-800-340-3008
- Spain: 1-800-340-3008
- Taiwan: 1-800-340-3008
- United Arab Emirates: 8000180008
- If you are located in a country that is not in this list you can reach out to EmpowerMe at firstname.lastname@example.org and EmpowerMe will reach out to you directly.
If you’re studying/working off-campus, reach out to your co-op advisor for directional support and/or information about resources in your current location.
Faculty and staff
Register with the Employee and Family Assistance Program to receive free support services and workshops, or call 1-800-663-1142. You can also contact Occupational Health at 519-888-4096, Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Off-campus emergency information
- If you are experiencing a life-threatening issue, please call 911
- Contact someone you trust
- Go to the nearest hospital or safe place
- Contact us during regular University of Waterloo hours at Counselling Services or Health Services, and we'll try to find support to help you
- Emergencies within North America: Call 911
- Out of country emergencies: If you are out of the province, please seek health care where you are. If you’ve been receiving care from us and are having difficulty finding care in another province, please contact us to discuss your options and next steps
- Let us know how we can help!
Health care centres in your province/territory
|Newfoundland & Labrador|
|Nova Scotia||Nova Scotia health centres|
Prince Edward Island
- The University of Waterloo’s Centre for Mental Health Research and Treatment (CMHRT) offers a full range of psychological services for children, adolescents, adults, and families from the area, and we are unconstrained by geographical region.
- Online peer support for the LGBTQ2+ community via Skype to undergraduate students. To set up an appointment, please contact email@example.com
- Provides confidential peer support for the racialized undergraduate student community.
- Advice from the Office of Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion on how to handle this type of abuse.
- Online peer support via Skype to undergraduate students. To set up an appointment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UW MATES, one-on-one peer support program offered by the Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA)
- Online via Microsoft Teams to undergraduate students. To set up an appointment, please contact email@example.com
- Download the app to quickly access mental health support information.