The members of the President’s Advisory Committee on Student Mental Health (PAC-SMH) have been appointed by University of Waterloo President, Feridun Hamdullahpur. The Committee includes representation from multiple faculties, disciplines, and roles, in addition to both graduate and undergraduate student representation.
The Committee is comprised of the following members:
- Walter Mittelstaedt – Director, Campus Wellness (Chair)
- Beth Keleher – Graduate Student, Psychology
- Alex Piticco – Director, Student Development and Residence Life, Housing and Residences
- Chris Read – Associate Provost, Students
- James Rush – Dean, Applied Health Studies
- Nikki St. Clair – Undergraduate Student, Political Science
- Paul Ward – Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Antonio Brieva - Federation of Students Representative
- Vanessa Lam - Graduate Students Association Representative
The Committee initially met on May 24, 2017, and will continue to meet bi-weekly.
The PAC-SMH is tasked with ensuring the collection of a broad set of information on student mental health considering both the UW student body and the larger societal context. It will review the data and information collected and advise on the status of the progress of mental health initiatives across the university. It will examine root causes of student stress, anxiety and depression, and how to mitigate them proactively instead of reactively.
More information about opportunities for University of Waterloo community participation in PAC-SMH panels and focus groups will be available soon.
For more information, visit the PAC-SMH website.