Information about appointments
Counselling Services and individual appointments are available at no charge to registered University of Waterloo students in classes or on co-op terms. The first step to making an appointment is to come to our office in Needles Hall North and have an intake appointment.
- You will complete forms and a questionnaire to help us understand your reasons for seeking an appointment. You’ll then meet or be scheduled an appointment with one of our intake specialists who are qualified mental health professionals who will interview you to determine the severity of your concerns.
- If you are in immediate danger of self-harm, harming others, have recently experienced the death of a significant person, or are in an academic crisis that requires rapid attention, you will be scheduled with an emergency or urgent appointment. Concerns that don’t meet an emergency or urgent criteria might have a longer wait period in order to accommodate the need for others to be seen in emergency and urgent appointments.
- The intake specialist determines your triage level by listening to the words you are using in the interview, so it is important to be as detailed as possible during the interview to get an accurate assessment.
- Emergency appointments are seen immediately. Urgent appointments are scheduled as soon as possible within the next few business days.
Who can use this service:
- Current students
- Current undergraduate students
- Current graduate students
How to request this service:
Come to our offices in Needles Hall North, on the second floor or call 519-888-4567 ext 32655 for more information