Throughout the Can-Peat project, we will take a braided approach to our science. Researchers, partners, students, and staff will work with the Indigenous Advisory Council and Indigenous Peoples and Communities to ethically braid Indigenous Knowledge and Western Science. To achieve this, our specific goals are to:
- Co-develop and co-design ethical pathways for Indigenous engagement across the research lifestyle;
- Support environmental data and Indigenous Knowledge in one comprehensive database;
- Empower Indigenous Data Sovereignty through the creation of the Can-Peat network;
- Provide a framework for ethical Indigenous research partnerships and Indigenous-led peatland research;
- Support methods for co-creation and braided knowledge mobilization across the Can-Peat network.