Application for China 3+2 Programs

As a student from China applying to the joint education programs at Waterloo, you will apply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC). The OUAC processes applications to all universities in the province of Ontario.

How to apply

The application form is available starting October 8, 2023:

  • Applications for 3+2 January 2024 (CODE WET) entry are open until January 12, 2024 for "Environment and Business" program.

Carefully complete the online application for admission at OUAC. Read instructions on how to complete the online application form (PDF).

Set up an account and then select the appropriate program you are applying for by choosing “University of Waterloo - International Agreements Application”.

Make sure you select the right Program and code for January 2024 entry (for the NUFE students, coming in the summer of 2025):

For students from

Program and entry term


Available Programs* / Subject of Major

NUFE only


Environment and Business

ENTRY term January 2024 (coming to Waterloo September 2025)


Environment and Business

Note: *not all programs might be available to your university.

  • CNU = Capital Normal University, China
  • CHD = Chang'an University
  • CUGB = China University of Geosciences (Beijing)
  • CUGW = China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
  • NJU = Nanjing University
  • NUFE = Nanjing University of Finance and Economics
  • SDUFE = Shandong University of Finance and Economics
  • SEU = Southeast University
  • WHU = Wuhan University

Please provide us with a current, valid email address as we will be communicating with you throughout the application process through email. Please do not use any email addresses.

The total application fee is $85.00 in Canadian funds. Payable to the OUAC upon completing your online application.

International payment options:

  • Credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Visa Debit or Debit MasterCard).
  • Online banking through selected Canadian banks and credit unions only (this normally takes 2-5 business days to process). You must make all payments in Canadian funds.
  • Flywire (this may take 2-5 business days to process). Flywire allow you to pay Canadian dollar fees in the currency of your choice. They provide a simple and secure way of initiating a payment electronically.

Upon completion of the application please print out a copy of your application.

What do I need to submit?

For students at home universities in China who are going to University of Waterloo for the fall term of 2024, please note that to be considered for admission to the University of Waterloo, you need to submit the following documents by March 30, 2024:

  • Your official transcript from your university (original language) in a sealed/stamped envelope. Note: This transcript must include courses you are currently taking.
  • A certified English Language translation of your official university transcript in a sealed/stamped envelope provided by your university. Note: If your current transcript does NOT indicate the courses in which you are currently enrolled you will need to include a letter - preferably from your advisor - outlining the details of those courses in English.
  • A certified copy of your official Senior High School Graduation Diploma and official Chinese University Entrance Exam (Gaokao), in signed and sealed envelopes
  • A copy of your language test results: CET4 , CET6, TOEFL or IELTS - if available.
  • A printed copy of your completed application form with your institution’s nomination signature.

Important information

Within two weeks of applying, you will receive an email acknowledgement from the University of Waterloo. You will be given your Waterloo ID number (8 digit). Please include this number on all correspondence with Waterloo.

Admission decision information will be sent to you (the 2023 January applicants) via email beginning March to early April 2024.

Required final documents (to arrive at UWaterloo by July 15)

Your official final university transcript in a stamped/sealed envelope.

A certified English translation of your official university transcript in a stamped/sealed envelope (this should be provided by your university).

Evidence of your language test results: CET/TOEFL/IELTS.

Note: We cannot make a decision if we do not have all your documents. Once you have completed the online application, the required documents must be mailed to:

Mailing address for required transcripts and documents

Undergraduate Admissions Registrar’s Office

University of Waterloo / China 2+2 program
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1

For questions regarding the Environment 2+2 / 3+2 / 1+2+1 Joint Academic programs at Waterloo, please contact:

Fulu Mao
Faculty of Environment (EV1-334)
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1

Phone: +1 519-888-4567, ext. 43871
Fax: +1 519-746-2031

Student visas

Once you have received your offer of admission from the University of Waterloo, you can contact the student advisor in your home university.

To apply for a student visa (or study permit), you will need:

  • A valid passport from your government.
  • Your official acceptance letter from the University of Waterloo.
  • Evidence of adequate funds. You must provide proof that you have enough money to cover your tuition and living expenses for you. Acceptable forms of proof include a bank statement or a letter from your bank.

You may need other documents. For specific information, please visit the website of Canadian Embassy in China and apply for study permits.