Initially announced on April 6, 2022, in response to the Russian military invasion of Ukraine, the province reiterated its support through the continuation of the Ontario-Ukraine Solidarity Scholarship. The provincial government is providing $1.9 million to continue supporting students attending Ontario’s publicly assisted colleges and universities. The purpose of these funds is to provide support to undergraduate and graduate students directly or indirectly impacted by the Ukrainian conflict or other conflicts.
Number and amount available
The University of Waterloo has received four (4) scholarships to award in the 2023-2024 academic year. The value of each scholarship is $10,000.
Eligibility and selection criteria
- These scholarships are for students who have been directly or indirectly impacted by the Ukrainian conflict or other conflicts.
- Candidates must be enrolled in full- or part-time studies in any undergraduate or graduate program at the University of Waterloo during the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Residency status and citizenship is not a requirement for eligibility, however, students must be physically present in Ontario to qualify.
- Candidates must demonstrate financial need.
- Upon determination of financial need, student applications will be judged based on merit, which may include academic achievement, community service, or demonstrated perseverance in pursuing their education.
- Priority will be given to students who have been impacted by the conflict in Ukraine followed by students impacted by other conflicts.
- This scholarship will be considered a resource and may impact OSAP funding, as well as any needs-based award/bursary previously issued for fall 2023 or winter 2024, as applicable.
Application deadline: January 15, 2024
The selection committee will begin reviewing applications after the January 15 deadline and applicants will be notified of a decision within one month.
Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid if you have questions about specific award requirements, completing the form, or award decisions.