- Our accepted file formats are: .pdf, .png, .jpg, .gif, .tif.
- Our maximum file size is 3500 kb, except for a portfolio which is 30,000 kb.
- File names cannot include brackets ( ) or quotations ' ', and should be kept short.
- Use the 'file' link on the Documents page to browse for your file.
- If you upload an incorrect document (e.g. a test score instead of a transcript), send an email to our application support team with your 8-digit Waterloo student ID number.
- A full set of documents must be submitted for each program to which you apply.
- Our application process is entirely online. We do not accept paper documents that are mailed to us during the application process.
- Documents beyond those required for your application such as professional certificates, covering letters, and bank statements are not required for admission.
- Uploaded documents are considered final and once submitted cannot be replaced or updated. For example, if you have an additional term of marks we cannot update your transcript.
When applying to Waterloo you are required to declare all academic education from all past and present universities, colleges and post-secondary institutions attended. In addition to completed degrees, diplomas and post-secondary certificates, programs that are currently in progress, incomplete studies, non-degree studies/courses, transfer credit courses, and online courses must be declared. Your complete post-secondary educational history is required by the academic department in a review and evaluation of your application. Failure to declare all education may delay your admission consideration.
Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the application stage. Should you receive an offer of admission, official documents will be requested.
If the official language of instruction at your institution is not English, please include both the original language document and a certified English translation for the transcript and degree certificate/diploma. Remember to include a translation of the official grading scale or transcript legend.
No translation is required for transcripts issued in French by Canadian institutions.
Types of education / transcripts
|Declare on application||Upload to Quest|
No - we will upload a copy of your Waterloo transcript.
NOTE: We will not replace copies of transcripts if new grades are added since you first provided a copy to Waterloo.
- Copies of transcripts uploaded in Quest must display your full name, academic program and the university's name along with transcript legends/keys/grading scales.
- All courses and grades, along with the transcript legends/keys/grading scales and degree certificates, if applicable, must be included.
- One file per institution can be uploaded (if you completed more than one degree at the same institution, both transcripts must be in a single file).
- To reduce your file size, try using a lower resolution and scanning in black and white instead of colour.
- Are completed electronically by your referee.
- Your referees will be contacted by the University of Waterloo with instructions.
- They will receive two email reminders to complete the form within 7-10 days of the date listed on the form.
- The SIF is one or more quesitons that your program would like you to answer.
- Complete the SIF in Quest. The form can be saved multiple times and then finally submitted.
- The SIF will time out after 10 minutes of inactivity in Quest, so prepare your answers in advance.
- Enter your answers in the text box for each question or prepare your answers in Microsoft Word and then cut and paste into the SIF text box.
- The SIF has word count of 500 words, but some software programs (i.e. Microsoft Word) may increase word counts based on additional characters. You can re-count your words by using a word-count website or edit your answers to have fewer words.
- Upload a copy in Quest (if required).
- Upload a copy of your original test score (TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, CAEL, EFAS) in Quest.
- If you have not yet taken an ELP test but have scheduled a test, declare the test date on your application.
- If you have not yet taken an ELP test AND have not declared a test date on your application:
- arrange for original test scores to be sent to us directly from the testing agency
- when ordering your TOEFL from the Education Testing Service (ETS) use:
- Institution code - 0996 (University of Waterloo).
- Department code - 01 (Graduate Studies).
- when ordering your IELTS from the agency:
- Name of Institution: University of Waterloo.
- Waterloo receives results electronically, so you do not need to courier us a paper copy of the results.
- ELP scores are valid for two years from the test date.
- Letters from your university stating the medium of instruction is English do not satisfy our admission requirements. Please do not upload them.
- Upload your GRE or GMAT test score in Quest.
- If you have not yet taken a GRE or GMAT test but have scheduled a test, declare the test date on your application.
- If you have not yet taken a GRE or GMAT test AND have not declared a test on your application:
- arrange for original test scores to be sent to us diectly from the testing agency.
- When ordering your GRE from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) use:
- Institution code - 0996 (University of Waterloo).
- A Department code is not required for Waterloo.
- GRE and GMAT scores are valid for five years from the test date.
- Indicate your immigration status on your online application.
- Upload a copy of your Permanent Resident Card (front and back in a single file) or signed Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence document in Quest.
- Please note, Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents cannot be accepted until they signed upon arrival in Canada.
If you are applying to a graduate program at Waterloo with sponsorship from your home country, please follow these instructions.
- Within the Other Information section of the OUAC online application, under International Agreements, choose your sponsorship agreement from the drop down menu. If your scholarship agreement is not among those listed, choose “Other scholarship” from the drop-down menu.
- Some agreements provide a preliminary sponsorship or scholarship letter, if applicable, email a PDF copy to Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to include your full name and your 8 digit (numerical only) Waterloo student ID number.
- If you are applying with a sponsorship that includes funding for English language studies, conditional admission may be offered. Learn more about sponsorships with English Language Training.
- The sponsorship documentation must detail the approved program, financial support amount and the number of years the funding has been granted (a minimum two years for a master’s research program and a minimum of four years for a PhD program).
- Please refer to Arranging your fees with a third-party sponsorship on the Finance website for the information required in the official sponsorship documentation. If there is any change in your funding situation, the University of Waterloo may re-evaluate your Offer of Admission, and reserves the right to withdraw your Offer of Admission or withdraw you from your graduate program.