At a glance
Application and document submission deadline
- February 1 (for admission in September)
Minimum admission requirements
- Master's degree in Economics.
- Minimum 80%, first class average in Master of Arts (MA) Economics degree.
- A one-page statement of academic interest.
- A GRE score is not required but is recommended for all international students applying to the program.
- Three academic references
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 90 (writing 25, speaking 25), IELTS 7.0 (writing 6.5, speaking 6.5)
- The Department of Economics does not consider international applications whose English language proficiency scores fall below the minimum requirements
Approximate tuition, fees, and living costs
- To determine the tuition and incidental fees per term for your program, visit the Graduate program tuition page on the Finance website. Once you are on the page:
- Choose your program type: master’s & diploma programs or doctoral programs
- Choose your residency status: Canadian/permanent resident or international
- Choose a term (tuition amounts for future terms are posted approximately two months prior to the start of each term and incidental fees are subject to change)
- Find your program under the appropriate faculty. Tuition amounts are listed per term, with three terms occurring over the course of a year.
- Review the study and living costs
Due to funding restrictions, the Faculty of Arts is currently limiting the number of international students we can admit. We receive an average of 33 international PhD applications each year, and admit approximately 1 international PhD student. Please contact the department's Associate Chair, Graduate Studies prior to applying to discuss your interest in this program.