Established: September 3, 1975
Last updated: July 2, 1997
The intent of this policy is to define the term "staff" as it applies to individuals employed by the University.
The term "staff" and the definitions in this policy apply to those persons on the University payroll whose principal appointments are other than faculty. Except for those titles as defined, or as may be included in Policy #76, and titles Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, which are assigned to registered graduate and undergraduate students only, all other titles are regarded as applying to staff appointments.
The following definitions apply:
- Regular Full-time Staff are staff members with indefinite appointments (including staff members on 'contingent upon funding' appointments) where there is an expectation of two years or more in duration of the appointment, and where staff members have a work week of at least 35 hours. This category includes staff members on approved reduced work load appointments as well as those holding full-time definite-term appointments of two years or more.
- Regular Part-time Staff are staff members with indefinite appointments where there is an expectation of two years or more in duration of the appointment and who work regularly scheduled hours but who on a daily, weekly, monthly or annual basis work fewer hours than those worked by regular full-time staff in a similar classification or salary grade. This category includes staff members holding part-time definite-term appointments of two years or more.
- Temporary Appointment Staff are staff members with definite-term appointments for periods exceeding three months but less than two years.
- Casual Earnings Staff are staff members employed for less than three months or on intermittent bases or who do not have regularly scheduled hours of work, or who are employed under an arrangement where they may elect to work or not when requested to do so.
- Union Staff are those staff members who are represented by a certified bargaining unit.