Engineering non-degree is a temporary status that allows students to enrol in an academic term for the purpose of facilitating a transfer or retaking 1A courses prior to repeating 1B.
You can arrange for a non-degree term by completing a Plan modification/Internal Transfer form.
- Complete the front requesting the Engineering Non-degree program and filling in the reason for the non-degree term (e.g., Non-degree term to transfer into the Faculty of Science).
- Complete the "courses required by admitting department" table on the second page of the form.
- Students must build their own conflict free schedule using the Schedule of Classes. (Also check the Calendar for course descriptions).
- Submit the form to the SE associate director.
- Voluntary strengthening students must take at least one 1A course or equivalent.
Transfer students must have the advisor from the program of interest sign the second page of the Plan modification/Internal Transfer form indicating their approval of the course selection.
The advisor from the program of interest may have to override specific courses listed in the table to allow enrolment in restricted courses. Approval can be given directly on the Plan modification/Internal Transfer form, via an email of approval, or through the completion of a Course Override.
Frequently asked questions
I want to transfer to another faculty at the University of Waterloo. Who should I contact?
Contact the academic advisor of the program of interest to discuss their transfer options and the program's transfer procedures.
How do I modify my courses prior to or during drop/add period of the non-degree term?
When can I enrol in a non-degree term?
The deadline for a non-degree term is two weeks prior to the start of term. Stream-8 students requesting a voluntary strengthening term are asked to submit the form on their first day back in January.
How many non-degree terms are allowed?
Students are permitted to take one non-degree term, however on occasion a second may be required for transitional purposes only.
I want to do a non-degree strengthening term prior to repeating 1B. What courses should I choose? Can I take non-engineering electives?
Students wanting to voluntarily strengthen their 1A background and/or clear 1A failures can enrol in a non-degree term provided they take at least one 1A engineering course or equivalent. Students can take non-engineering electives for a total of three courses. (Students enrolling in a voluntary strengthening term prior to a QPR term must score 50% or greater in each course. Scores below 50% will disqualify students from QPR).