June 1, 2017
Waterloo launches President’s Community Impact Awards
Awards will recognize those who contribute to making Waterloo Region strong and prosperous
Community members who embody the University of Waterloo’s spirit of innovation and contribute to making Waterloo Region strong, will be eligible for the new President’s Community Impact Awards.
The awards, announced by Feridun Hamdullahpur, president and vice-chancellor, were created in honour of the University of Waterloo’s 60th anniversary. Nominations open on June 1.
They will recognize individuals or teams of community members, students, staff or Faculty who have distinguished themselves through volunteer work, public speaking, school outreach, or other outstanding community service.
The awards will:
- Reward and recognize community excellence
- Inspire community members to engage in activities that develop leadership, foster social responsibility and contribute to the well-being of our community
- Promote community pride and participation
- Engage with, serve, and draw strength from the diversity of our external communities.
Awards are intended to recognize community contributions over and above duties for which the individual is paid or that the individual is completing as a part of a degree program.
Previous recipients of these awards will not be eligible.
Up to four awards will be awarded each calendar year.
Community Leader awards (up to two per year). A Community Leader is a current University of Waterloo student, faculty or staff member.
University Champion awards (up to two per year). A University Champion is an individual or organization from the Waterloo Region and city of Stratford who has demonstrated a commitment to championing the impact of the University in our community either through partnership with the institution or in working with individual students, faculty or staff of the University.
Nominations will be received from the community and campus each year by submitting a brief nomination package that includes:
- a completed nomination checklist (docx)
- a community impact statement from the nominator
- two letters of support
Review and selection process
Nominations will be reviewed by a selection panel led by
- Office of the President
- Community Relations & Events
- Staff Association
- Faculty Association
- Federation of Students
- Graduate Students Association
- Call for nominations: June 2017
- Deadline for 2017 nominations: September 15, 2017
- Inaugural winners announced: December 2, 2017