With community connections being an important part of the Canadian academic tradition, one of the distinguishing features of Studies in Islam is community outreach and bridge building. In cooperation with various community organizations, faculty within Studies in Islam extend their work and knowledge to the community by:
- providing sensitivity training to various community groups and organizations,
- participating in interfaith bridge building work
- offering community development programs
- organizing public lecture series, workshops
- hosting art shows, concerts, film showings and other events
Such programs also provide community service learning opportunities to students at the University of Waterloo and other local universities.
For archives of past events, click here.
Please check out our non-credit courses for opportunities to improve your Arabic or learn a new language. These courses are open to everyone!