Family Health Clinic

The Family Health Clinic was established in 2014 to provide primary health care to families of our international students. These services are still available, for the duration of studies, and if needed, up to six-months after graduation to support transfer of care.

Who can use this service?

  • Current undergraduate and graduate students
  • Visiting scholars, visiting researchers, visiting faculty and post-doctorates, without physicians in Ontario
  • Dependents, without physicians in Ontario
  • Sponsored family members, without physicians in Ontario


  1. Please call Health Services at 519-888-4096 and let us know the dependents or family members you wish to register. For those who are unable to call due to accessibility concerns, please email indicating that you are unable to book by phone, along with the above-mentioned information. Please note that this email address is not monitored 24/7 and cannot support urgent or emergency requests.
  2. After calling us you will be sent a link with a registration form to fill out and instructions on next steps.

Note: The Family Health Clinic does not take walk-in appointments. If you, your spouse, or children require urgent care, please call us, or see a list of after-hours clinics and hospitals.


If you need to cancel or change your appointment for any reason, 24 hours notice must be given. For psychiatrist appointments, 48 hours notice must be given. If you do not give notice and do not come for your appointment, you may be subject to a missed appointment charge.

Arriving late

Arriving late for your appointment could result in:

  • having to reschedule your doctor's appointment
  • a missed appointment charge
  • longer waiting times for yourself and others

Please call 519-888-4096 to cancel your appointment. 

Leaving the University in the next six months?

Health Services (including the Family Health Clinic and Student Medical Clinic) is able to serve you and your family while you are a registered University of Waterloo student, visiting scholar or post-doctoral student.

Within six (6) months of graduation or completion of your contract with the University, your health care and the health care of your family members must be transferred to a physician off campus.

If you are on academic hiatus and plan to return to your studies within the next six (6) months, you are welcome to continue your health care with our physicians and nurses.

If you need assistance searching for a physician off campus, please refer to the following website:

Find a Family Doctor or Nurse Practioner