University Updates Page for Graduate Students. Highlights:
- Phase 2 of Laboratory and Research Facilities Restart plan
- Courses details for fall term - visit grad students info page for details
- International students: Government of Canada update on the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program
- Memo to students re: fall 2020 term
- International student information
- Revised time limits for graduate students
The following resources are offered by the GSA-UW and the University of Waterloo:
- Academic Readiness Bursary: support students registered as a graduate student in the fall 2020 term who may or may have incurred costs related to studying remotely, as a result of COVID-19. These types of expenses could include:
- computer upgrades, e.g., monitor, webcam, headset
- quarantine-related expenses (considered on a case by case basis)
- internet access
- Thesis Completion Award: for both Master's ($3,000) and Ph.D. ($5,000) students in Spring/Fall 2020.
- Empower Me: A remote and confidential mental health and wellness service offered through our health plan.
Legal consultation helpline for graduate students. Free of charge for the month of April.
- Student Advising: The GSA-UW advises the graduate students on various issues, and you can always ask us to help navigate various resources available.
- Student Emergency Fund: The University has recently created this fund to provide short-term financial help with immediate, unexpected expenses of both an academic and non-academic nature.
Other financial support available:
- Graduate Student Medical Leave Award: Eligible research-based master’s and doctoral students who must go inactive for medical reasons (e.g. physical or mental health) may be eligible to receive financial assistance.
- Graduate Student Contingency Bursary: The purpose of the Graduate Student Contingency Bursary is to provide short term financial assistance to eligible international students.
- Graduate Student Parental Leave Bursary: Eight-month Graduate Studies Parental Leave Bursary (includes adoption) to eligible graduate students.
- Graduate Student Day Care Bursary: Available each term to eligible students with daycare expenses. Daycare expenses include those incurred through a daycare centre, a home daycare, before and aftercare through schools, breaks and summer camps.
- Emergency Loans: Interest-free emergency loans are available to full-time graduate students who are experiencing short-term financial difficulty.
Other university resources
- Campus Resources and Services: The list of offices and services at the university for graduate students.
Contact us if you need help navigating these difficult times.