Updates for winter 2021 (effective January 2021):
- Due to the current COVID-19 situation, a graduate student thesis completion award has been established.
- This award has allowed for additional doctoral thesis completion awards to be provided for the winter 2021 term only, following existing criteria of the program below.
- In addition, for the winter term, thesis-based master’s students who are within two terms of completing their thesis, may also be considered.
- Eligibility criteria for master’s students remain the same as below except students must be registered full time in a thesis-based master’s program.
- The value for master’s students is $3,000 while the value remains at $5,000 for doctoral students.
Use this form to:
- apply for a doctoral thesis completion award
- apply for a graduate student thesis completion award as a master’s student for the winter 2021 term only if invited to do so by your graduate department
A limited number of awards are available each academic term to support doctoral students who are within the last two terms of program completion (term of award plus one additional term). These awards are made possible with funds provided by the Vice-President, Academic and Provost, and Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA). The intention is to assist highly qualified, full-time doctoral students to complete their thesis writing and defence.
Value: $5,000 (doctoral) / $3,000 (master's for winter 2021)
Eligibility and Requirements:
- be a full-time doctoral student or a master's student (for winter 2021)
- defend and submit the final version of their thesis within two terms of application (term of award plus one additional term)
- not hold full-time or part-time employment during the term in which they receive this award
- not hold any external awards during the term in which they receive this award
During the term in which the award is paid, it is to be used in lieu of a Teaching Assistantship and Research Assistantship; however, a student may hold a Graduate Research Studentship
A change of enrolment status to part-time, inactive, withdrawal or degree completion during the term in which the award is paid will require repayment of all or part of the award. Repayment amounts are recalculated based on the University of Waterloo tuition refund policy. Any inquiries regarding OSAP/provincial student loans should be should be directed to the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office. However, please note, the two term limit to degree complete is still applicable regardless of enrolment changes.
Fall term – July 15
Winter term – November 15*
Spring term – March 15
*for the winter 2021 term only, those who already applied for the Doctoral Thesis Completion Award but were unable to be offered an award because of quota limitations, may be reconsidered. Similarly, master’s students may be invited to apply and be considered in winter term.
Where the advertised deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline date is the preceding Friday.
Application process and notification:
Applicants will submit their application to their departments for signature and review. Departments are then required to submit the applications to their Faculty where they will be ranked and selections will be made.
The Faculty will contact all applicants regarding the status of their application.
Awards will be applied to the students account once the Faculty sends the nominations to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.