Use this form to:
Apply for a graduate student emergency loan.
The University of Waterloo Emergency Loan Program is an interest-free emergency loan that is available to assist students with expenses (such as rent, groceries etc.) while awaiting another source of income. Emergency loans may not be used to cover tuition and fees.
Please arrange to have proof of your source of repayment ready to upload to your application prior to submission as the application cannot be saved partially complete. For example: funding letter from department, Notice of Award (external awards), screen shot from approved OSAP/other provincial aid application showing your funding, employment letter, paystub.
An incomplete submission will result in the delay of application processing.
- Loans are not available until tuition fees are paid or arranged with Student Financial Services, EC5.
- Loans are normally available only to registered full-time graduate students. Students must also be in satisfactory academic standing.
- The value of the emergency loan varies depending on the student’s situation and method of repayment.
- Loans are for short term only: 30, 60 or 90 days.
- Payment will normally be available within three business days for approved loans.
- A hold will be applied on the student account once a loan has been approved which will prevent the student from ordering transcripts until the hold is removed. If the loan is not repaid a secondary hold may be applied which restricts self-enrolment, accessing transcripts and obtaining a diploma.
- Prompt repayment of the loan in full by the agreed upon deadline is required to remove any holds, maintain credit rating, and to ensure funds are available for other students.
- Failure to remit payment by the deadline will result in further collection action:
- Applying a $25 administrative fee on top of the original loan amount immediately
- Applying a 20% collection fee on top of the original loan amount if loan is still outstanding after six months from the original loan approval date and the file will be sent to collections for further action by Student Financial Services
- Repayment can be made by contacting Student Financial Services, EC5.