On Campus Groups and Centres
Organizations for Marginalized Groups in Science
- Canadian Society for Women in Science, Technology and Engineering
- Laurier Centre for Women in Science
- IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics
- CAP committee to encourage women in physics
- APS Women in Physics
- APS LGBTQ+ Physicists
- APS Minorities in Physics
- Access: Astronomy, the blog of the AAS Working Group on Accessibility and Disability
- Astronomy in Color
- Committee for Sexual Orientation and Gender Minorities in Astronomy (SGMA)
- Women in Astronomy
- LGBT+ Physicists
- Chronically Academic, a network of academics with disabilities and chronic conditions
- 500 Women Scientists
Women in Physics Conferences
- Canadian Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics
- APS Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics
- Women in Physics Canada
- International Conference on Women in Physics
Steeped Thoughts Award Recipients
- Dr. Aryn Martin. Fall 2018. Feminism as Material and Method.
- Dr. Renée Hložek. Winter 2018. Women in STEM: Standing at the Cosmic Crossroads with Momentum for Change.
- Dr. Melanie Campbell. Spring 2017. My Research: A Progression Through the Continuum of Physics.
- Dr. Jacqueline Feke. Winter 2017. Ancient Greek Mathematicians: Intellectual Outliers.
- Dr. Heather Douglas. Fall 2016. Science & Values: The Pervasive Entanglement.
- Dr. A. W. Peet. Spring 2016. Musings on Diversity and Inclusion in Physics.
- Dr. Doreen Fraser. Fall 2015. What is the Higgs Boson Anyway?
- Dr. Shohini Ghose. Spring 2015. Seeing the Invisible: Journey into the Quantum World.
- Dr. Christine Logel. Winter 2015. Social Psychology of Women in STEM.
- Dr. Carla Fehr. Fall 2014. Strategies for Improving the Representation of Women in STEM.
- Conference Diversity Distribution Calculator. Shows probability of under- and over-representation on panels assuming that speakers are randomly selected. Provides strong evidence that having all-male or all-white panels is not just a consequence of having small numbers of white women and people of colour.
- UWaterloo interactive display of student headcounts. Users can select variables including recorded gender, faculty, year of study, and visa status.
- An annotated bibliography of recent studies on gender bias in academia, curated by Danica Savonick and Cathy N. Davidson.
- Women in Science, an interactive data tool from the UNESCO Institute for Statistics exploring gender of researchers around the world
Skills & Workshops
- Ally Skills Workshop
- Consensus Decision Making: short and long guides
- Facilitating Meetings: short and long guides
- Making Meetings Accessible for people with mobility and sensory disabilities.
- Dos and Don'ts on Designing for Accessibility
- Designing Inclusive Scientific Meetings
- DISCOVER Cookbook for Diverse & Inclusive Spaces and Conferences
- Leave policy for UWaterloo faculty
- American Mathematical Society Inclusion/Exclusion Blog
- The Liberated Mathematician
- Date of major and minor Jewish holidays and Muslim holidays. You wouldn't schedule an event on Christmas. Don't schedule one on Rosh Hashana.
- Whose Land, a detailed resource on land acknowledgements and traditional territories on Turtle Island.
- Native Land, a map of traditional and treaty territories across many colonized places.
- AccessNow, an app for mapping accessibility
- IRIS, a webapp connecting volunteers to visually impaired folks to provide descriptions of scientific figures.