An award, valued at up to $1,500, is provided annually to a full-time undergraduate or graduate student who is enrolled in a program in the Department of Classical Studies in the Faculty of Arts. Candidates must write a 500-word letter to prove a need for travel to Greece in order to enhance their research in the study of Greece and Classical Greek heritage. Students must be a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, a resident of Ontario, and be able to demonstrate financial need.
Interested graduate students are asked to complete the Graduate Student International Experience Award application which is available from the Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website.
Applications from graduate students are due March 15. This fund is made possible by a donation from NA Engineering Associates Inc. in support of the Waterloo Institute for Hellenistic Studies.
- full-time undergraduate or graduate students registered in the undergraduate or graduate program in the Department of Classical Studies in the Faculty of Arts
- students must be Canadian citizens/permanent residents and an Ontario resident (as defined by OSAP) and must adhere to Ontario Trust for Student Support (OTSS) program guidelines
- selection to be based on research interest in the study of Greece and Classical heritage and relevant to the research program of the Waterloo Institute for Hellenistic Studies with demonstrated need for travel to Greece to enhance the student's research (e.g. visit museums, work with a professor abroad). Funds may also be used to assist students pursuing a low-paying co-op work term in Greece.
- candidates must be in good academic standing and have a demonstrated financial need for the term abroad, as determined by UWaterloo.
- an application is due by March 15 which is to include: a 500-word application letter outlining the need for travel to Greece or the co-op position job description with salary, and a student budget to help determine financial need.
- normally the Director of the Institute, the Undergraduate and Graduate Program Coordinators, and the Chair of the Department of Classical Studies will identify candidates and select recipients each Spring, in consultation with the Student Awards and Financial Aid and Graduate Studies Offices who are responsible for reviewing the financial need component of the application.
- International Graduate Experience Award application:
- In the term prior to your travel, complete the International Graduate Experience Award application
- Attach required documentation (as per the application form)
- Submit your complete application package to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) by the appropriate term deadline below