External awards are offered by federal and provincial scholarship agencies, foundations or private companies who rely on Waterloo to adjudicate competitions and manage payment of awards. At Waterloo, we encourage our top graduate students to apply for external awards including those from Canada’s three major research granting agencies and Ontario's major scholarships programs. Students who choose to study at Waterloo and are successful in the major federal and provincial competitions will also receive the President's Graduate Scholarship.

Application procedures vary. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check our external awards web pages below, as well as the agency specific websites for complete details on eligibility, application and applications instructions.

Federal master's

Federal doctoral

Provincial scholarship

Other prestigious external scholarships

Additional resources

  • The Universities Canada web site contains useful tips and tools for international students planning to study in Canada, as well as a searchable database for scholarship programs for all students pursuing post secondary education.
  • The Government of Canada International Scholarship Program website lists Canadian scholarship programs for non-Canadians wishing to study and conduct research in Canada. For details on Waterloo’s administrative process for graduate students, please visit our International Scholarships webpage. 
  • MPOWER Financing is a non-Waterloo website containing external scholarship/funding opportunities for international students.
  • The Scholarships Canada database is an extensive database to find scholarships, bursaries and grants. You'll also find information about student loans, applications and budget planning. 
  • Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that designs and delivers research and training programs in Canada. Working with 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, Mitacs builds partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada. Open to all disciplines since 2007, Mitacs has expanded in response to industrial and university needs, including programs in R&D management, professional skills development, and international research training.

  • Visit the Waterloo International website for other external international opportunities.

  • Visit our Graduate funding and awards database to identify additional external award opportunities.