Please note: Information and dates may be updated depending on further information received from the Tri-Agencies.
June – August 14, 2020:
- Interested applicants must contact the Graduate Officer/Associate Chair of their proposed nominating department to express their interest in applying for the Vanier at Waterloo. Students, either who approached the department or who were identified by the department, MUST receive departmental endorsement prior to submitting a Vanier application. The deadline for interested applicants to contact the Graduate Officer/Associate Chair is July 31.
- Departments email the Associate Director, Graduate Financial Aid & Awards (copying the applicant) in Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) by August 14 to confirm the department’s support of the applicant.
August 14 – September 16, 2020:
- Students who received departmental endorsement should be reading the information on the official Vanier website and Waterloo’s Vanier web page to confirm their eligibility for this scholarship.
- Eligible applicants should set their own deadline by which they require their referees to submit their assessments; referees must submit their assessment prior to the institutional deadline in order to allow the applicant time to submit their completed application in ResearchNet.
- Eligible applicants order their transcripts, by September 16, 2020, as outlined in the instructions on Waterloo’s Vanier web page; the deadline for applicants who are not currently registered at Waterloo to provide GSPA with hardcopies of transcripts from previous post-secondary institution(s) is September 16, 2020.
September 16, 2020 (9:00 a.m. EDT):
- GSPA deadline for applicants to submit their Vanier CGS application to Waterloo via ResearchNet.
- GSPA deadline by which non-Waterloo students must have their previous postsecondary transcripts submitted to GSPA.
September 16 – 25, 2020:
- GSPA prepares applications and spreadsheets for departments to access by end of day on September 25.
September 28 – October 7, 2020:
- Departments review and rank their applications.
- Departments notify GSPA of their top-ranked applicants by October 7.
October 9 - 14, 2020:
- Institutional selection committee members have access to and review the applications that will be discussed at the selection meeting on October 15.
October 15, 2020:
- Institutional selection committee meeting to determine selected applicants for endorsement.
October 15, 2020 – November 2, 2020:
- GSPA to communicate with endorsed applicants and supervisors to fine-tune applications and institutional letter.
- GSPA to coordinate institutional nomination letters for each selected nominee.
November 3, 2020:
- GSPA to electronically submit the Vanier nominations to the agencies for federal adjudication via ResearchNet.
- GSPA sends communication to non-recommended applicants.
- GSPA to inform departments and Faculties of the results of the institutional adjudication.
Questions about any stage of this process can be sent to the Associate Director, Graduate Financial Aid & Awards in Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.
Updated: June 25, 2020