At a glance:
- February 1 (for admission in September)*
- June 1 (for admission in January of the following year)*
- October 1 (for admission in May of the following year)*
Graduate research fields
- Biochemical and Biomedical Engineering
- Green Reaction Engineering
- Interfacial Phenomena, Colloids and Porous Media
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering
- Separation Processes
Minimum admission requirements
- At the time of admission, each student must have an approved PhD supervisor who has agreed in writing to supervise their academic program
- Applicants must demonstrate excellence of background preparation and academic achievement in prior degrees and, usually, possess a relevant, thesis-based Master's degree with a minimum 80% standing. A Master's degree obtained without a full research thesis is normally an inadequate qualification for admission to the PhD program.
- Three academic references. The opinions on academic preparation and research ability must refer to the applicant’s demonstrated ability to formulate research problems and execute the research required to solve problems, as indicated by a Master’s of Applied Science (MASc) research thesis or published scientific/technical paper. The references should also refer to the applicant having adequate English language skills to pursue a doctoral program, with all of its requirements, at the University of Waterloo.
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 80 (writing 22, speaking 20, reading 20, listening 18), IELTS 6.5 (writing 6.0, speaking 6.0). The Engineering Graduate Studies Sub-Committee requires objective evidence of English language skills. Technical publications that have been written principally by an applicant and published in refereed English language journals, a thesis written in English, or a personal interview with the Chemical Engineering Department’s Associate Chair for Graduate Studies are also considered as evidence.
Approximate tuition, fees, and living costs
- Canadian and permanent resident students, full-time: $2,254.00 tuition and $491.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- International students, full-time: $7,182.00 tuition and $703.01 incidental fees per term (as of January 2021)
- Study and living costs